<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

"Fertility and Conception" by Zita West

June 9 2005 at 7:22 PM
cazlou  (Login cazlou)

I am reading "Fertility and Conception" by Zita West and it is the best book I have read. Layed out well and easy to follow. Not overwhelming, like some others, and, I would think, 75% of it is relevant to us as over 40 y.o's. Excellent sections older people, nutrition, high FSH, increasing cervical fluids, etc., etc. I would totally recommend it.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
meagain!
(Login meagain1)

Anything concrete?

June 9 2005, 7:58 PM 

Does she say ANYTHING concrete? Suggestions, etc?
I.e.; does she say anything about how to lower FSH? or just explains what it is.

Me (44)
DH (45)
TTC #1

Respond to this message   
cazlou
(Login cazlou)

Hi Meaghin

June 11 2005, 2:12 PM 

FSH treatment. She says:
How is it treated conventionally?
There is currently no conventional treatment for raised FSH levels (I guess conventional means "Western").
Can complementary therapies help? She says "I use accupuncture to help lower raised FSH levels with some degree of success, but it does depend on how high the levels are to start with. I treat a number of important acupoints for hormone regulation and reproduction. There are a number of general lifestyle factors to be considered, and dies is important. i.e. 1. put yourself on a detoxifying program, including drinking at least two quarts (liters) of bottled or filtered water a day, cutting down your salt intake and avoiding coffee, tea and sugary and carbonated drinks. Drink hot water and lemon juice instead. 2. Consult a qualified herbalist about taking a daily supplement of chate-tree berry (Vitex agnuscastus) which may help to lower elevated FSH levels. 3. Take a B - complex supplmeent containing 50 mg of B6, and a zinc supplement to help regulate hormones generally. 4. Take 1,000 mg of essential fatty acids a day, either evening primrose oil or fish oils. 5. Eat legumes, onions and garlic to help the liver to break down estrogen, and cabbage to incresae the rate at which the liver converts estrogen into its water-soluable form so that it can be excreted from the body. 6. Eat foods containing phytoestrogens, such as legumes, flaxseed, alfaalfa sprouts, oats, cabbage and Brussel sprouts - which bind to estrogen receptors, causing a weak estrogen-like response. This will help balance hormones." She also has a very helpful table on a very simple detox.
BUT, this is not all the information in the book that relates to our type (older aged) and I found the whole book helpful.
Personally, my TCM now has me on fish oils (Omega 3 wild triple fish oil - 1000mg), a couple of pre-natals (SISU), vitamin E (NATURAL only - 400 iu), wheatgrass shot, "Growing Jade" which is a Chinese herb mix in pill form (2 twice a day), Vitamin C, Coenzyme Q10 (100mg). He actually said I don't have to do the accupuncture until I am going through the western treatment - and then about 4 times that month - he didn't seem to think it would help me anymore leading up to that for some reason.......(despite what Zita says). He also said I don't need baby aspirin, because there is something in what he has already given me for blood, and I don't know why he hasn't given me Vitex, but mayben because the "Growing Jade" does something similar. .......PHEW......LONG MESSAGE......

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index