Delicious Healthy Snacks -- Roasted Veggies

by Tiger Rats (Login TigerRats)

Time to enjoy all those yummy spring vegetables -- eggplant, zucchinni, etc.

If fitting vegetables in gets challenging, and you're sick of raw veggies, try roasted veggies.

Preheat oven 400.
Brush or spray cookie sheet or 13x9 pan with olive oil. Coarsely chop (by this I mean chop in big chunks or small wedges) sweet onions (red onions or sweet yellow onions), brush or spray with oil roast 10 min.

Partially peel zucchini (leave green stripes, they look pretty!) and slice. Peel eggplant, slice and quarter the slices. If you have time, perform the procedure my husband called "salting out the bitter humors" -- salt the eggplant, let it sit 20 min, then wipe off the salt and any moisture on top with a paper towel or clean cloth -- really does make it sweeter. Seed and coarsely chop peppers.

Add to pan keep it all on one layer, and brush or spray oil on the new veggies you're adding.

Roast another 10 min, turn, roast 5-10 min more.

You do not really need to salt or season these; the roasting rings out the natural sweetness but you can season as you wish or roast with sprigs of fresh herbs.

These are good hot, room temperature or cold, and can be served with a splash or balsaic vinegar or vinaigrette if you wish.

All kinds of veggies can be roasted - asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, etc. You can even add cherry tomatoes or tomato chunks.

The key is knowing which ones take longer to cook (onions, followed by broccoli cauliflower, & carrots), doing it all in 1 layer, and spraying or brushing with oil to prevent drying. Just a light spray of good quality oil does it (I use a mister).

Even if you brush, the olive oil is a heart healthy oil and is good for you!

Tigs

Posted on Mar 11, 2012, 4:12 PM
from IP address 108.38.99.21

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

1. Thanks for this, Tigs! I do love roasted zucchini and especially roasted peppers. (m). , Mar 13, 2012, 7:44 AM