Return to Index  

What Is Your Most Important Hair Goal?(Votelet Poll & Answers)

April 16 2003 at 5:47 AM

Fox  (Premier Login pictures)
Owner

What is your most important hair goal?

Length 5.00 % (3)
Health 23.33 % (14)
Care/Learning how to style long hair 11.67 % (7)
All of the above 60.00 % (36)
Total votes: 60

Length:
For those who voted for length look carefully at the condition of your hair. Is your hair in decent health. Most people have split ends. The longer your hair is the more prone it is for getting splits. If your hair has splits on the end, but otherwise seems healthy, you might want to consider skipping a trim or two and letting it grow. Once you get closer to your length goal, you can trim to even out and rid yourself of the splits.

If your hair is very damaged, you might gain more length by trimming. Damaged and badly split hair will only continue to break off at the ends. Some people feel like they are not growing, when actually, they are, but their ends are breaking and splitting off. Treat your ends very gently, protect them with a small amount of oil or favorite leave in, and trim the damage off. You can use the dusting method of trimming, which snips just the split end off, or depending on where your splits are, a regular blunt cut trim may be what your ends are needing.

Health: For those who voted for health...is your hair in need of a doctor? You would be amazed at how making some regular changes in your routine can change the health and conditioner of your hair. Look at what my hair looked like before I found long hair care boards!

Mercy! I was in bad shape, splits and breakage everywhere. I learned a few tips I'll share with you here.

AVOID the use of heated styling tools. Blow dryers, curling irons, hot rollers... they are not kind to hair. I stopped using them and started seeing results pretty quickly.

Avoid shampooing the length. Apply conditioner before shampooing your scalp. This will protect your length. Conditioner alone is usually enough to clean the hair length. If you find you have build up or product residue, allow the suds to rinse down the length. If not, hold your length off to the side when rinsing your scalp, then rinse your entire head. Reapply a bit of conditioner, allow this to stay on for a bit, as long as you're in the shower, and then rinse again.

Do not brush your hair when it is wet. Hair is most fragile when wet. If you need to detangle while wet, try using a rake comb. There is another detangling method you can do in the shower, but I'll address that in another post sometime. Treat your hair like fine lace. When brushing or combing, treasure and protect it. Be gentle, starting at the ends and working your way up to your scalp. If you hear a snapping sound, you're moving too quickly. Slow down and gently work through tangles. Snapping = breakage.

Apply a small amount of oil or leave in conditioner to your ends. It's hard for the scalp's natural oils to reach the ends of longer hair.

Take a good nutritional supplement. Hair's best nutrition comes from the inside. Eat healthy, exercise....it improves your circulation which is good for hair growth!

Avoid the use of styling products that contain alcohol. This can dry out your hair. Avoid shampoos that use SLS as a lathering agent. This has proven to be a harsh to hair and scalp.

There are even more tips, which we will address in other articles, but this is a good start.

For those who voted for styles alone: Practice makes perfect! Try practicing a new one each week. If you can't get it the first time, keep trying throughout the week or even into the next week. I think giving up too soon is why many never grasp the concept of a certain style. Some... you just can't get! But try anyway! Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you never ask, you'll never learn.

Many voted for all of the above. Combining all the information above will give you the results you seek.

-Fox

17/33/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:
Just Fox...

You can also find me here: The Long Hair Loom

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

Respond to this message   
Special thanks to: Pure Elegance for backgrounds on our discussion board pages!