Return to Index  

Interview with Karlie Eldred of Dressy Tresses

May 2 2003 at 3:20 AM

Fox  (Premier Login pictures)
Owner

Interview with Karlie Eldred of Dressy Tresses
by D.A. Fox

"I believe in giving customers choices because fads come and go."

Karlie Eldred is our own "Goldenhair" here on the boards. Her lovely mane of blonde tresses inspire us with every glimpse. I was able to learn more about Karlie's work as a jewelry designer recently, and wanted to share it with you.

What started your interest in hair accessories?

I have always been an accessory girl ever since I was a little kid.

When was Dressy Tresses started?

I started it in February of 2001.

Are your hair accessories "long hair friendly"?

Absolutely! Like anything you just have to know how to properly use them, and make sure your hair is neatly combed or brushed before you put them in. I wear one or more of my accessories every day.

What are the best ways you find to style your long hair?

On a busy day when I don't want my hair to get in the way, I use a scrunchie to hold all my hair in a ponytail on the top of my head. Then I take the length, tie it into a knot and use a hair stick to secure it. I also use the mini claws to hold up my stray strands of hair.

What made you decide to grow out your hair?

A few years ago I decided it was time to stop having to use hair spray, hair gel, and the straightening iron every day. I remember working in a salon in 1992 when a woman with waistlength hair came in to have her sons hair cut. We got to talking and she reminded me of how much easier it was to care for long hair.

How long have you had long hair?

I've had long hair as a child and then off and on again as an adult. My last short hair cut was in 1994 which required a lot of hair spray and a straightening iron to look good.

Can you tell us about some of your hair accessories?

I believe in giving customers choices because fads come and go. I also lean toward the high end, fancy accessories that are more unusual. Anyone can buy a plastic clip in their local store, but finding an Austrian crystal barrette in the shape of a butterfly is going to be a hard to find item. Most of my items were made as limited edition designs which is another reason you're not going to see them mass marketed anywhere. There are some companies in China that are copying some of the designs, but they are cheaply made and they don't have the same quality of sparkle and durability.

What is your favorite accessory and why?

The mini claws, ponytail holders and hair sticks.I can't stand to have my hair falling in my face, so keeping it out of the way is important to me. I love the classic look of a long ponytail hanging down my back.

Karlie has also been working to update her website. In the coming weeks you will be able to pay via credit card without having to use the "Pay Pal" option. This will enable customers to call in with their credit card information should they feel uncertain about sending their credit information over the internet.

Karlie has always provided some great hair styling tips on her site, but she has even made plans to improve that. Karlie has a great sense of creating some really easy and unique updos for long hair. She intends to have pictures of styles that all members of Dressy Tresses can print out and take to their stylist, or even do themselves with new and improved, simple instructions. Membership is free on her site, so stop by and sign up if you are interested in learning more!

Dressy Tresses

You can also find Karlie right here on the Loom, with the login name of "Goldenhair!" Feel free to drop her a post on the Hair Care Board!

Many thanks to Karlie for taking the time to do this interview for the Long Hair Loom Library!

-Fox

17/33/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:
Just Fox...

You can also find me here: The Long Hair Loom

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

This message has been edited by pictures on May 2, 2003 6:06 AM

Respond to this message   
Special thanks to: Pure Elegance for backgrounds on our discussion board pages!