Return to Index  

Interview: Lengthy Inspiration -Interview with long hair model, Leona

October 8 2003 at 4:59 AM

Fox  (Premier Login pictures)
Owner

Lengthy Inspiration - Interview with long hair model, Leona
By D.A. Fox

Leona is a new recruit to long hair modeling. When she was younger she always dreamed of modeling and even went to modeling school when she was 14 and 15 years old. Becoming a wife and mother put her dreams on hold, but says she wouldn't change that for anything! She enjoys modeling now. She has only been modeling for the last 3 months, but says she is having the time of her life. Having her husband as her personal photographer has made modeling her long hair, a dream come true.

I was able to ask Leona about her hair care routine recently. I found her to be a very sweet and kind lady, and I'm sure you will enjoy getting to know her better!

When did you start growing out your hair, and how long was it at that time?

I began in 1994, it was just past my shoulders.

What inspired you to grow it long?

When I was a little girl, I always thought the girls with the long hair were the prettiest. The love and admiration of long hair is my inspiration.

How long is your hair now?

52-1/2 inches Just right at the back of my knees

How long do you want to grow?

Until it doesn't grow any more!

I know you have daughters... do they also have long hair?
My youngest daughter (16) had classic length hair as a small child-until she was 9, I think. Right now her hair is the longest of all my daughters, she is at bra strap length. My oldest and middle daughters (20 & 17) have shoulder length hair.

My sister-in-law had tail-bone length hair when she cut hers to bra strap length. Her kids were terribly upset about it. Are your girls attached to your hair?

Their opinions vary from loving it to saying I'm too old to have such long hair.

Was your family and friends supportive of your desire to grow your hair long?

Yes, but I don't think they imagined I would let it grow this long, and want it even longer now.

What is your hair type?

1aFiii

What are some of the challenges you've faced with super long hair?

The hardest thing for me is dealing with strangers coming up to me and touching my hair, that really makes me feel uncomfortable, but I try to understand that it's just out of curiosity. Someone once told me that I should expect it, and just deal with it if I plan on growing longer, so I will.

What are your favorite hair styles?

Braids! I love the French Braid. It is so comfortable, and doesn't feel like I have a weight pulling my head back. My hair is pretty heavy in certain hairstyles. My bun needs to be right on top of my head, anywhere else, and I've got a neck ache and the front of my scalp is pulled tight from the weight.

What is your favorite accessory?

My metal hairsticks. I can do some cool updos with them, and they are unique. Other hairsticks I have used off the market break and aren't long enough. My husband found them in his toolbox, and they work perfectly!!!

What type of brush and comb do you use?

I use a wooden comb I bought at The Body Shop and a Boars Bristle Brush. I use the Brush occasionally, the comb I use all the time.

Leona surprised me when I talked about hair care products. She keeps things very simple with spectacular results!

I asked, "What are your favorite hair products?"

Mane & Tail Shampoo and conditioner & Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo and Conditioner.

How long does it take to wash your hair, and how long does it take to dry?

It takes about 15 minutes to shampoo, and if I condition, about 25 minutes. Since I air dry my hair, it takes a good 2-3 hours to completely dry.

Do you color your hair?

No, I sometimes will put a little lemon juice on it if I am out in the sun, but only sometimes!

I know you have a love of herbs, can you tell me if you use herbs in your hair care regimen?

Actually, no, I don't, at least not externally... BUT whatever herbs/vitamins/food we take internally will help make the hair healthy, if it makes our bodies healthy. Our hair is a billboard of what our health is on the inside..I hope that makes sense. But no, I don't use herbs on my hair externally.

How often do you trim?

Once a year, or less. My last trim was April 2003, and the one before that was January 2002. I hate putting scissors to it, and I put it off as long as possible.

Do you find that split ends are a problem? If so, how do you deal with them?

I do have some split ends. I think it is inevitable, and I will "dust" occasionally. I just try to protect the ends as much as possible, and keep the damage to a minimum.

How do people react when they see how long your hair is?

They are in amazement. Sometimes they ask me if it is real..how long has it taken me to grow it..have I ever cut it. I have even had some people tell me that I should cut it off and donate it to Locks Of Love. I've been told by a couple of women that I am being selfish for keeping all this hair to myself when there are children who need the wigs. That one shocked me the most!!

Have you ever had any bad experiences with your hair?

Yes, it's been shut in the car door, and I lost a couple of inches one day while using a leaf blower. The end of my braid got sucked into the motor of the blower. Now when I do my yard work, the hair is in a bun!

What do you think is the most important thing to do when you are growing out your hair?

I think that one must have a true love for long hair, and realize what such a journey entails. There are many ups, downs, and bumps to overcome along the way, but in the end, it is all worth it!! Don't give up, don't ever, ever give up. When you love your hair, it shows.

Leona, thanks so much for taking the time to share your hair care ideas with us here on the Loom! We really appreciate it!

Thank you so much!!

If you would like to contact Leona you can write to her at:leona@longhairportraits.com

Or you can visit her at her website: http://www.longhairportraits.com/index2.html

-Fox
17/35/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:
Forever Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners (As well as Forest Pure, another brand made by the makers of Nature's Gate)
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

Respond to this message   
Special thanks to: Pure Elegance for backgrounds on our discussion board pages!