Return to Index  

Recommendations for DNA testing (OE success ment / sensitive OE topic) (x-post)

March 15 2012 at 9:26 PM
Mrs. A  (Login 39andTTC)

Hi Ladies. I'm a regular of the high FSH sister boards.  I sincerely hope I don't offend with this post but I'm hoping that you can provide some insight on a sensitive OE issue.   Back in December 2010 I was moving on to DE after numerous failed OE cycles.  In the midst of that process I became naturally PG and delivered my DD this past August.

I was very vocal with family and friends and interested parties about my IF struggles and about moving on to DE; i.e. I was "tell" before I was ever even in a DE cycle.  I was also frank and truthful about how DD was conceived.

In the months since DD was born I have been on the receiving end of comments of how DD looks nothing like me.  In fact I just recently found out that one relative asked another relative "where did those blue eyes come from?!" in reference to DD.  You see, I have brown eyes and DH has hazel eyes (we both have some relatives with blue eyes in our family backgrounds though but no one seems to focus on this!).  Another relative said "you didn't contribute anything; she looks just like her father; well, maybe her feet (!!!) look like yours."  (btw, it wasn't said mean-sprited at all; just like a teasing joking comment).

In the past weeks/months I have been having a growing concern over this and a recent family trip is what put me over the edge.

Maybe I'm being irrational (and if so please chime in! DH thinks I am...) but I'm now worried if people are thinking that I totally lied about DD being OE since I was so open about DE.  And my concern isn't so much about whether people think I'm lying but I'm so worried that maybe someone could one day lead DD to think she was DE.  There are also some dynamics in our lives (won't get into details here for privacy reasons) that I could see serve as a basis for someone in the future to try to question DD's rights to claim blah blah blah.

I'm sorry to have given so much background. I just felt weird posting the question without any background since I'm not a regular of this board (just lurk).  I know this is an OE-centered topic but I was thinking that because DE may bring into question maternity that maybe you have input on DNA testing.  So to my question:

Have any of you ladies had a voluntary/self-pay DNA test done to prove/disprove maternity/paternity?  And if so, do you have any company recommendations?

Thank you for any insight!

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. What an interesting twist. - Raindrops1 on Mar 15, 2012, 10:12 PM
    1. I wouldn't waste the money - thesameboat on Mar 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
      1. Yes, only test for DD. - Raindrops1 on Mar 15, 2012, 10:52 PM
        1. agree n/t - Mrs. A on Mar 16, 2012, 6:46 PM
      2. you are right - Mrs. A on Mar 16, 2012, 6:45 PM
    2. that's right - Mrs. A on Mar 16, 2012, 6:39 PM

2. Yes, I would do the DNA test and I can recommend a lab - BBG on Mar 15, 2012, 11:42 PM
    1. guess what??? - Mrs. A on Mar 16, 2012, 6:51 PM

3. Agree with all previous comments but just one more thing to consider - Belen on Mar 16, 2012, 4:33 AM
    1. this is why I love these boards - Mrs. A on Mar 16, 2012, 6:58 PM

4. Sorry you are going through this Mrs A - futurebeauty on Mar 16, 2012, 7:40 AM
    1. no worries - Mrs. A on Mar 16, 2012, 7:06 PM

5. UGH - Renata on Mar 16, 2012, 10:04 AM
    1. thanks for sharing - Mrs. A on Mar 16, 2012, 7:13 PM

6. now thats interesting - THK on Mar 16, 2012, 7:28 PM
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement