Return to Index  

Time magazine story - my ds is 3 and still nurses. What do you think?

May 12 2012 at 9:56 AM
Golda  (Login GoldaM)

I heard the story about Time while in the car and was surprised to hear the sensationalist BBC reporting. All the public they interviewed was super negative and ignorant. No body even had the facts. Here's what I would have wanted to hear clarified:

Older kids that nurse already do eat food and drink milk. Most in this situation are like my ds. They nurse a little bit before going to sleep. It is never in public. It probably still had some health benefits due to the passage of maternal antibodies in the milk.

I didn't see the actual article though. The picture was ridiculous and added to the sensationalist approach. It looked kinky. What do you think?

Other than the nursing, my ds is super (too?!) independent and well-adjusted (in nursery school half days, etc) and on track if not ahead of developmental markers. With one exception - he did not sleep through the night until he was 1 yr and 11 months old. When he woke in the night he always nursed too. You see, I broke all the customary rules and it turned out ok in my opinion!! I was fine with having my sleep interrupted for that long rather than trying CIO or other methods. I was terribly sleep deprived and paid for it in many ways but would not trade those sweet moments at night with him. For me it was a luxury. I had had to wait too long to enjoy being a momma to give up one moment of mothering. Now he sometimes says to me when I kiss him goodnight, "I'm going to sleep all night and not wake you up".

FWIW, both of my children were in the Arms Reach co-sleeper until they could sit up and then they went to a crib in their own room. They trashed about too much to allow sleep in a family bed. See, all kids are different and dogmatic rules should only be guidelines.

What surprised me is that my older ds weaned himself at 19 months. He saw a neighbor's newborn and said "Milk is for babies". And that was it. (Forgot to say that he was an early talker, he really said what I quoted). I don't know what, if anything I should do to finish weaning my 3 yo ds but my older son makes negative comments about the fact that he still nurses. I also know that dh does not agree with the nursing.

Please share your experiences

Golda

ps. I am the only 53 year old that I know that is lactating.

This message has been edited by GoldaM on May 12, 2012 9:57 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Me!!!!!!!!! - demomone on May 12, 10:17 AM
  3. I didn't see the story; saw a reaction piece on Slate. - Maggie in VA on May 12, 10:22 AM
  5. Well, - Ariadne on May 12, 10:42 AM
    1. I guess I won't be reading the article yet - Ariadne on May 12, 11:23 AM

6. Perfectly fine. - Raindrops1 on May 12, 10:50 AM
  8. me! - thesameboat on May 12, 11:09 AM
  10. not a SAHM thing either - Golda on May 12, 11:52 AM
  12. I wish I had had this option! - Renata on May 12, 11:59 AM
  14. I don't understand why people care - and also think the woman on cover does a disservice - LadyMagoo on May 12, 12:03 PM
    1. Agree, the photo is ridiculous . . . - Maggie in VA on May 14, 8:19 AM

15. I like to hear from moms of pre-teens or teens who nursed long term... - Dee S. on May 12, 1:43 PM
    1. I know my second donor for the twins and also know her parents - E&H on May 12, 8:15 PM

16. impressive! I had twins at nearly 51 and wished I had nursed lots longer (than 2 months) - Andrea on May 12, 1:47 PM
  18. Hi Golda,....m - Hope2009 on May 12, 4:26 PM
    1. Thanks for this sweet post, Hope! nt - Jen in TN on May 12, 7:44 PM
    2. beautiful post! nt - thesameboat on May 12, 11:48 PM

19. My personal comfort level ends about age 5 - BlessedThistle on May 12, 6:45 PM
    1. Yes me too BT, ....m - Hope2009 on May 12, 7:47 PM

20. So glad you brought this up. Haven't seen the mag but I'm PO'd - Leeba on May 12, 10:32 PM
    1. Barge, oh gosh, I've heard the same thing repeatedly... - Kenny on May 13, 5:06 PM

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement