Day care was supposed to save me money . . .June 14 2012 at 9:54 AM
|Maggie in VA (Login maggie1961)|
But I've paid for both day care and their nanny, who mercifully hasn't begun a new job yet, for so many days, I'm not sure I've started to come out ahead yet. Here's our record so far:
Week 1: 5 days at day care
Week 2: 2 days at day care, 3 with nanny
Week 3: 4 days at day care, 1 with nanny
Week 5: 5 days at day care
Week 6 (this week): 1 day of day care, 4 with nanny
I try to remind myself how lucky I am to have the kids at all, that I got off easy on ttc expense going overseas and succeeding on the second try (although I got walloped with legal fees and uncovered medical expenses due to my domestic situation), that it's financially inconvenient, but not going to affect our overall economic situation in the short run, at least, but it's still making me crazy. I haven't sat down with a calculator to figure out whether it's cheaper for me to stay home with the kids rather than pay double day care, and it's not a black and white decision as I've been sick, too, so going to my day job is easier than taking care of the twins while sick. I'll be taking leave without pay for my outages so far this week to try to conserve paid leave for an upcoming trip. So my next pay check will be short, sigh.
After the Week 2-3 tag-team projectile vomiting stint, I'm not that optimistic about next week. Bob has diarrhea, while Fred has a very ugly sounding chest infection. But in the Week 2-3 illness, they traded off symptoms for the second week.
The thing is, they have been in day care for shorter periods before and they got exposure to other kids at the church nursery, plus going to public parks; it's not as though their immune systems have never been exposed before. And this is summer, for Pete's sake.
Know this is more of a rant than a request for advice, but if you have any, please do not hesitate to offer it.
Maggie (in VA)
ETA: finalized our week 6 total, yes record broken
|This message has been edited by maggie1961 on Jun 15, 2012 9:57 AM|
- Day care kicked my kids hard last summer - BlessedThistle on Jun 14, 2012, 10:19 AM
- Yikes! - Raindrops1 on Jun 14, 2012, 10:38 AM
- No, sick days are all on me, but he also doesn't have . . . - Maggie in VA on Jun 14, 2012, 11:12 AM
- Gosh....better keep the nanny. - Raindrops1 on Jun 14, 2012, 1:00 PM
- Would be nice, but . . . - Maggie in VA on Jun 14, 2012, 1:11 PM
- Ouch! - Raindrops1 on Jun 14, 2012, 1:25 PM
- Re: Ouch! - FL Gal on Jun 14, 2012, 4:12 PM
- Dang, Maggie. I can't imagine. - thesameboat on Jun 14, 2012, 10:07 PM
- I may soon feel your pain / one thought - LadyMagoo on Jun 14, 2012, 6:25 PM
- Thanks, Lady M., and sorry about your situation . . . - Maggie in VA on Jun 15, 2012, 8:19 AM
- That really sucks - BlessedThistle on Jun 15, 2012, 8:25 AM
- It's quiet now at work; not getting pressure on absence . . . - Maggie in VA on Jun 15, 2012, 9:02 AM