Return to Index  

Looking for opinions about how long to put DD in Kindergarten

July 12 2012 at 8:15 AM
thesameboat  (Login thesameboat)

The German system is different. 25 children, aged 3 to 6, are enrolled in one class. They're mostly all there in the mornings, when the more organized 'lessons' take place. The 6-year-olds are taken out for a few hours a week for pre-school lessons. Otherwise, the class is mixed-age. If we want her to eat lunch there, she has to stay until 2:30. Lunch is catered. The bizarre thing for me is that if she DOESN'T eat lunch, she's supposed to be picked up between 12 and 12:15. Lunch is served at 11:30. So the kids that don't eat, play nearby and smell the delicious hot food. (??)

Money isn't a problem. It's dirt cheap here. For every extra 1-2 hours per DAY, we pay an extra 5 ($7) per MONTH. The lunch costs a few dollars a day. I can't remember exactly what. Maybe $3?

The thing is, baby is coming in December. December is cold here. I am happy that DD won't be stuck in the house with me and a baby, but will be active and playing. She starts in September. But should I sign her up for 8 to 2:30? That seems like a long day. Up to now, she's always napped from 1 to 3, so I don't know how that will go. They say the kids who nap can go to another building and get pillows and mats and blankets. I wonder if she's ready to give up her naps and go to bed earlier. When do they do that? She's almost 3. Would I WANT her to? As it is, if she keeps on napping, I'll be able to nap, too, if I can get her and her little brother to sleep at the same time. But if she's going to get any exercise in the afternoons from December to February, it probably won't be with me. I'm pretty good about getting her out during warmer seasons. Today we had kid sports at the gym in the morning and playground for an hour in the afternoon, until the rain started. But winter? No way.

If she doesn't nap and stays until 2:30, she'll come home ready for relaxation and will then go to bed earlier. That doesn't sound too bad, either.

Any ideas from you experienced moms? Should I start trying to cut out naps before September?

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Mine moved to 8:30-2:30 this past year... - Kenny on Jul 12, 9:36 AM
    1. agree with Kenny - AngMc on Jul 12, 9:51 AM
      1. Yeah, we planned that one well, didn't we, Ang? - thesameboat on Jul 12, 11:49 AM
    2. Yes, my instinct is to move up to 2:30 before the baby gets here - thesameboat on Jul 12, 11:47 AM
      1. LOL - AngMc on Jul 12, 2:13 PM

2. Try it - Aufrecht on Jul 12, 9:58 AM
    1. Yes, the C-section is something to think about - thesameboat on Jul 12, 11:42 AM

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement