Return to Index  

question about infants in daycare

July 13 2012 at 12:01 PM
  (Login Raindrops1)

Baby boy is in his first week of daycare. I am familiar with the facility as my DD used to attend a pre-school in the same building and play on the same playground alongside the daycare children. I have also known professional working parents in my area who have used the daycare and thought it was fine. Parents are able to visit the daycare and check in at any time, there are no monitors. I don't see unhappy children there. Actually the pre-school kids all seem just fine to me. All of the "classrooms" have windows to the hallways so you can see all of the kids when you walk to the other rooms. The lady in charge of the infant room is nice and has worked in the infant room eleven years, so they have lower staff turnover. I have not witnessed anything bad. I hang out with my baby when I get there in the morning and when I pick him up.

But, I still get this agonizing feeling worrying that he misses me while I'm gone. That maybe he is not happy. He is such a happy baby. We give him tons of attention at home. He loves to talk and coo and smile. He is super social. I realize they cannot give him even close to the attention that we give him at home. It is not possible, they have other babies to care for, usually about five in the room but it could be up to eight babies. Whenever I go there most of the babies are usually sleeping in cribs or baby seats, in swings, jumpers or eating or crawling around on the toy rug area.

So, this is his first week and I think it has gone well. But how will I know if he really is doing well there? I miss staying at home with him where I know I am giving him all the attention he needs. But I have a big IVF loan to pay off so I need to work. And I have a nice job where I have worked at for years that I don't want to give up. For now I am just keeping an eye on him and everything I see at the daycare realizing it is only the first week and there is an adjustment period.

It is just so hard knowing that as a baby I know of course he would rather be at home with me. How do I really know if he is ok there? He is there six hours a day.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. I'm right behind you raindrops - cotton on Jul 13, 4:45 PM
  3. I know how hard this is - Renata on Jul 13, 4:55 PM
    1. In your area soon. - Raindrops1 on Jul 14, 12:32 PM

4. Yeah, it's hard . . . - Maggie in VA on Jul 13, 7:13 PM
  6. Oh sweety..... - sas on Jul 13, 9:19 PM
  8. Oh, this must be so hard - thesameboat on Jul 13, 10:43 PM
  10. No advice, just empathy - Jen in TN on Jul 14, 7:38 AM
  12. Thanks Moms. - Raindrops1 on Jul 14, 12:06 PM
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement