Return to Index  

How old is he?

July 15 2015 at 6:44 AM
Leigh  (Login leigh74)

Response to Asthma/RAD follow up

Forgive me, I can't remember... Our allergist told us that skin tests for environmental allergies are generally worthless before about age 4, and even then they're not totally reliable. With my DS, we did both skin tests and blood tests for food and the most common environmental allergens when he was only 2, knowing we might get a bunch of false negatives. The only thing that came up strongly was eggs, but none of the environmental things showed a positive (dog, cat, mold, pollen, dust mites). Also, there are SO MANY things to test for - I remember having 50+ scratches on my back when I had it done as a kid. They usually pick the common allergens to test, but you could easily miss something if he's allergic to something that's more rare or that's particular to your house or yard... FWIW, I think the Zyrtec and Flonase is a great idea. This is what we did with DS, but we eventually took him off Flonase because we didn't think it was adding anything. I hope it works for you!

Best,
Leigh

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: How old is he? - gr8tful1 on Jul 16, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement