Return to Index  

That would be great!

August 11 2015 at 2:40 PM
Leigh  (Login leigh74)

Response to Same here . . .

I had to order domperidone from an overseas pharmacy as well, so I was really excited to read this, Maggie.. All I can find on the subject, though, is the original FDA warning from 2004 and then this update in 2014:

"The FDA has been cracking down on questionable practices at the largest compounding pharmacies, and it recently caught one manufacturing an unapproved drug.

According to a warning letter sent Feb. 28 and posted this week on the FDA website, Total Pharmacy Services has been making domperidone, a drug some breastfeeding women take to boost lactation. The letter to Houma, LA-based Total Pharmacy Services says compounding pharmacies can be exempt from FDA rules if they have valid prescriptions for the drugs they make, which it didn't, but even if it had, domperidone is an unapproved drug and wouldn't qualify.

A decade ago, the FDA sent warning letters to some compounding pharmacies, saying they should not be making the drug. The agency cautioned women against using domperidone because of its heart risks, pointing out that there have been reports of women having heart attacks, and some even dying, after getting injections of the hormone-boosting drug. Women were then buying it from compounding pharmacies or bringing it in from foreign countries. Today it can be purchased online from foreign-based pharmacies."

If anyone knows differently, I'd love to hear it! My OB said she'd prescribe Reglan, which is in the same general class of drugs (dopamine antagonists), but the potential central nervous system side effects of Reglan were too scary for me. Domperidone only acts peripherally (doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier), which is why it's preferred for the purposes of lactation.

Best,
Leigh

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement