<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Question re Omega 3 and 6 and 9 oils...

May 25 2012 at 12:09 AM
brightside  (Login ISOGE)

Hi all - been lurking often, but so utterly overwhelmed that I've not participated much here. Cheering you all on, though.

Following on the link below, I'm confused as to whether I should be giving my DD age 2 years, 3 months straight Omega 3, or the 3 6 9 Nordic which seems to be only for older kids - is it safe??

She has speech delays (long story), and I've heard fish oils help, but don't know which oils to give her. Please be specific as to brands.

Thanks so much.

B

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login tamaralg)

Re: Question re Omega 3 and 6 and 9 oils...

May 25 2012, 2:10 AM 

We began 369 Nordic at 18 months per developmental pediatrician. You start low (2 capsules I think) and gradually increase when you see a plateau. If you join the facebook apraxia listserv you will find lots of info there about what people do with fish oils. Last I checked and it has been awhile this 369 Nordic is what others were using as well.

Respond to this message   

(Login Blessed_Thistle)

my two cents - the only omega 6 I'd consider would be GLA

May 25 2012, 6:13 AM 

Many of our health issues today are thought to occur in large part because our diets are so horribly skewed to omega 6s. Here's a wiki article on GLAhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Linolenic_acid Personally, I'd stick with a tasty reputable fish oil made for kids and maybe incorporate some freshly ground flax seeds into their diet for ALA (short chain omega 3). Omega 9 I would just get by choosing monosaturated fats rich oils over polyunsaturated whenever I could.

eta: We use Coromega but the is a thread on fish oils on the first page where at least one person raves about Barleans.

This message has been edited by Blessed_Thistle on May 25, 2012 6:15 AM

Respond to this message   
Maybelline
(Login Maybelline)

I agree with this

May 25 2012, 1:44 PM 

I just threw out half a bottle of Nordic Naturals Complete 3-6-9 because of potential adverse health risks. I give the kids omega 3 only.

Respond to this message   
Andrea
(Login AndreaMomma)

what are the potential adverse health impacts of 6 & 9? thanks

May 25 2012, 9:33 PM 

I'm curious.

1st kids for us!
5th DE attempt
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Respond to this message   

(Login Maybelline)

I'm mostly concerned with 6

May 26 2012, 9:52 AM 

The ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 is way out of balance in the typical American diet. Omega 6 is very high in many commonly used vegetable oils such as soybean and corn. Excess omega 6 promotes the development of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.

So I don't think I need to add extra 6 in my diet even if it is in balance with the 3. I also try to stick with olive oil (low omega 6) and canola (good ratio) as being healthy oil choices. The 3-6-9 that I threw out was mine. I have only ever given Omega-3/DHA to the kids since that is supposed to be good for brain development.

Here is a good explanation: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400149/balancing-omega-3-and-omega-6.html

This message has been edited by Maybelline on May 26, 2012 10:20 AM
This message has been edited by Maybelline on May 26, 2012 10:13 AM
This message has been edited by Maybelline on May 26, 2012 9:59 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login Dee.S)

Well heck...

May 27 2012, 9:17 PM 

Did not know soy bean oil was bad for you. I use Orville Redenbachers Butter flavored popcorn oil to season vegetables and to saute in. Thinking soybean oil was better then corn oil. Will go back to olive oil...the butter flavored popcorn oil helped me avoid using margarine or butter.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Respond to this message   

(Login Dee.S)

Found some gummies...

May 26 2012, 2:51 PM 

I am gonna try they had a high amount of omega three close to the capsules. My son threw up the capsule. I squeezed it in his mouth, he ate dinner and 30 minute later it was all out of him. Happened 2 days in a row. The gummies are like candy and he already takes gummy vitamins. So I just need to make sure he brushes his teeth after having his vitamins to keep the sticky stuff off his teeth. So I think I will give them at bedtime before we brush teeth. I am praying to see improvement, he is doing better, but could be doing MUCH better.

Respond to this message   

(Login Maybelline)

What brand?

May 26 2012, 4:59 PM 

We have both Nordic Naturals and Lil Critters and neither has very much omega 3.

I just ordered some Nordic Natural strawberry softgels with the hope that they will like those. But I know they would like gummies better.

Respond to this message   

(Login Dee.S)

Coromega

May 27 2012, 3:47 PM 

I read the reviews and one of the reviewers mentioned it had twice as much omega 3's as other gummies and then I started comparing the ingredients and this was close to nordic. The reviews make it sound like they taste pretty good. My son will not do the gel caps, they are too fishy even the so called strawberry flavored Nordics. I tried squeezing it in his juice, he took 2 sips and put the cup down, then he refused to take anything from the cup cause he did not thrust me. After a week he is now drinking from his sippee cup again. I tried squeezing it in his mouth and 30 minutes after dinner he threw up everything. So I am praying these are the answers! I do not think you are going to get the kids to enjoy the Strawberry Soft Gels, I am gonna try and take my bottle back to Walgreens or take them myself.

http://www.vitacost.com/coromega-omega-3-gummy-fruits-for-kids

This message has been edited by Dee.S on May 27, 2012 3:53 PM
This message has been edited by Dee.S on May 27, 2012 3:52 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login Maybelline)

Thanks!

May 27 2012, 4:49 PM 

I'll check those out.

If they won't take the NN gelcaps I'll use them myself happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login Maya3)

You need to consider dosage...

May 30 2012, 2:42 PM 

The brand of gummies I use specifies that four gummies is the dosage. So my guess is that the amount of Omega-3 you get per dosage is the same (but with coromega you only take two gummies). Which leads me to ask the obvious question- what exactly is the official recommended daily allowance of Omega-3 for young children? Does the FDA have a figure? Where do you get your information on what amount is the right amount?

Maya

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Question re Omega 3 and 6 and 9 oils...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement