<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

One week in daycare and already - Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease

June 12 2012 at 10:13 AM
LadyMagoo  (Login elseeG)

Aka coxsakie. DD is miserable she has rash all over her body, and it is worst on her bumm. She has sores inside her mouth too. I think we'll be moving to a pacifier now.

Any suggestions? She is only 4 months old. Poor thing.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
shayrose
(Login shayrose)

No advice, just a hug!

June 12 2012, 10:29 AM 

How awful! So sorry to hear this, poor baby and poor mommy! There's been a few cases recently in our preschool building, but in the infant room. Must be going around. Hope she's feeling better VERY soon. Keep us updated. I'll be thinking of both of you!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Respond to this message   
thesameboat
(Login thesameboat)

Oh, poor baby!

June 12 2012, 10:40 AM 

I'm so sorry. I hope it goes away fast.

Respond to this message   
AngMc
(Login mcangtang)

hugs

June 12 2012, 1:51 PM 

so sorry to hear that. Poor lil thing! Lots of love and hugs for both of you.

I will say, the first 6 months at the "germs" are the worst. I have noticed that the last 6 months for us have been much easier than our first. Just to give you some hope.

Respond to this message   
diaphanta
(Login diaphantaonacid)

My LO had this as soon as she had a day in nursery!

June 12 2012, 1:59 PM 

The sores in the mouth were the worse - she couldn't feed properly and got quite hysterical. I got her to drink from a cup if I remember rightly. If she is like my DD, she will be quite miserable for a few days and need lots of cuddles and then it will go. Best of luck.

Respond to this message   

sas
(Login sangelas)

oh poor little one!!!!

June 12 2012, 2:07 PM 

I cannot even imagine going through that with a 4m old! I'm SO sorry. Hope everything heals quickly.

hugs,

sas

Respond to this message   
ekb88
(Login ekb88)

You may have helped me figure out

June 12 2012, 3:14 PM 

what that rash is on DS hands. It showed up after nap today. I checked Dr. Google after reading your post and what he has looks just like the pictures for hand foot and mouth. Then I checked his feet and found spots there. None on his mouth (yet). Sorry your tiny guy is dealing with it. DS is 27 months, so not so tiny. I know it's been going around the neighborhood here. DS went to his playgroup Monday. Exposed everyone I suppose. Awesome. sad.gif

Respond to this message   
Dee S.
(Login Dee.S)

Bummer...big time.

June 12 2012, 6:37 PM 

I would want to know what the sanitizing procedure is at the daycare. If daycare providers are not washing hands frequently and using sanitizer before, during and after diaper changes its not good. I know from practice we have to gel in (use hand sanitizer) before entering a patient's room and after. We must wash our hands with soap and water after several sanitizing. We always use soap and water after dealing with stool and this is even with gloves on.

I understand these things are gonna come into a daycare arena from the outside, however by practicing good sanitary procedures it can be prevented. Toys should be washed and sanitizer daily, children should use sanitizer on a regular basis in the daycare. Your little one was given this disease I suspect by a worker, unless some other child touched sneezed or coughed on your little one.

When you visit notice if you see sanitizer in multiple area's especially near the changing table. If you notice a worker changing a diaper or handling food see if they use sanitizer. Some people are just plain nasty, I often see or hear woman leave the ladies room at work and public places and not wash their hands. I sanitize my pen and badge and watch when I am working in the hospital as part of my daily routine.

Prevention of spreading germs is...in our hands.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Respond to this message   
E&H
(Login Chrismal2)

My thoughts exactly

June 12 2012, 6:50 PM 

I'd be really angry if my 4 month came home with hands, foot and mouth. I think they need lessons on sanitising. I can't imagine how you feel, big hugs coming your way.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Respond to this message   
LadyMagoo
(Login elseeG)

I wonder...

June 13 2012, 7:39 AM 

My first thought was daycare too, but I wonder whether the public changing tables we used last week were the source. One, the children's room in the public library and the other in a restaurant.

I spent a day and a half observing this daycare center and they are pretty meticulous about washing toys, sanitizing, washing hands. And no other kids have come down with it (so far). That said, carriers can be asymptomatic, so a little classmate might have it without anyone knowing it.

Also, I wonder whether the fact that DD is so new to day care means her immune system is more susceptible to this. (Oh, look...another reason to beat myself up over my inability to breastfeed my daughter for very long due to low milk production.)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Respond to this message   
Aufrecht
(Login Aufrecht)

Stop that!!

June 13 2012, 9:36 AM 

You are the best mommy there is for your kid. Period. Stop beating yourself up about the breast feeding.
My kid was breastfed for 18 months!! and got hand and foot AT DAY CARE the first month she was there at 12 months. My Peds says it ususally gets transmitted between children, not from adults.It is very common and the first time a kid is exposed in a community setting they get it. Now granted it is miserable but hopefully your kiddo will be feeling better soon. It is really hard for us mommies to see them suffer too. I feel for you.

Respond to this message   

I second that-

June 13 2012, 1:57 PM 

about the breastfeeding. I read in an earlier post that you went well beyond the average Mom in even trying the supplementing device. That is dedication.
I don't have much to add on the hand and foot...but I too would be leary of the koala care bathroom tables. Necessary but I am sure frighteningly dirty. What are we to do?
I hope for a speedy recovery.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Respond to this message   
ekb88
(Login ekb88)

going to third it on the bf'ing

June 13 2012, 6:04 PM 

DS is still bf'ing here at 27 months, and managed to catch this thing. My pedi said he's seen more cases this year than ever before, and that the strain seems to be more severe than before. There are so many ways for the little ones to pick bugs up. You can't blame yourself at all.

Respond to this message   
Dee S.
(Login Dee.S)

Yes stop that!

June 13 2012, 7:15 PM 

My goodness my first son was adopted and on formula from day one. Like Cotton once said formula is not rat poison...LOL. My son is very bright and dealt with the average sniffles and ear infections but nothing major. Consider buy disposable changing pads for the public changing tables or bring a couple of receiving blankets and only use them once each and bring it back home. I had a plastic pad I could lay the kids on and then I would wipe back and front with a sanitizing wipe. The other thing that I did was change the baby in the car always on the front passenger side with the plastic pad under them. I was just paranoid of germs on those changing tables.

Hopefully your little one is showing signs of feeling better.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Respond to this message   
FL Gal
(Login FLGal)

So sorry!

June 12 2012, 7:43 PM 

When Phil was getting chemo, he kept getting the sores in his mouth, giving them to me, and then Frankie got them. He was miserable. Our ped gave us a recipe for liquid children's benadryl, mylanta (I used cherry), and liquid anbesol. You'd swab it inside his mouth. Frankie loved it and he seemed to get relief. We carried it everywhere. I'll get the proportions tomorrow. He said they use this on the kid cancer patients...

This message has been edited by FLGal on Jun 12, 2012 7:45 PM

Respond to this message   
THK
(Login perthkitty)

R had this about a month ago

June 12 2012, 8:46 PM 

Oh heck, I am sorry to hear your LO has Hands, Foot and Mouth. Its awful for them. It is a hazard of daycare I am afraid that they pic up things.

We gave R panadol and bathed him in something that was ph neutral. That was about all we could do. He didn't get it bad but my husband did. It doesn't hang around for long - maybe a week or ten days at absolute most.
Be careful when changing diapers as that is now it spreads via poo and also the water from the blisters. Hence, wash your hands often and be 'aware' when changing diapers.
You sort of just have to sit it out. AFter it all goes away you may find that your LO has slight skin peeling e.g. like when a blister bursts etc. Don't worry about this, put some moisturiser on it if you need to (but no moisturiser now ok), thinking of you, best, THK
edited to add that the poo is contagious with the HFM for 6 plus weeks so be vigilent ok.

This message has been edited by perthkitty on Jun 12, 2012 8:47 PM

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

No suggestions . . .

June 13 2012, 12:24 PM 

But hoping your LO is better soon! Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement