<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

weaning off progesterone

November 18 2014 at 10:00 AM
De2  (Login De2)

I am to stop progesterone/estrace on Wednesday. My RE office refuses to do any more blood testing on me, so they won't test my blood to see if my levels have dropped too far. I am 11 weeks and they want me to just see my OB now for everything.
However, my OB office says they don't test blood for progesterone levels. That makes no sense to me.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
AC in Boston
(Login GeminiWW)

new chapter, new monitoring

November 18 2014, 10:19 AM 

I remember transitioning from the RE to my MFM and often being surprised by what we'd no longer monitor. The transition from hyper monitoring to pregnancy related monitoring was initially off-putting. P4 after 11 weeks will not make or break this pregnancy.

Do you have your OB appointment scheduled? You should bring the progesterone question and all others with you to the appointment. It will be a good opportunity to level set and to let the practice know that you have some anxiety given how tough your journey has been to achieve a viable pregnancy. They may be willing to do some extra monitoring so you can relax and enjoy your pregnancy- which seems impossible after dealing with IF but it can happen.

You're 1 week away from a big milestone! Good luck!

Respond to this message   
Leigh
(Login leigh74)

It's ok

November 18 2014, 1:11 PM 

There's honestly no reason to continue monitoring P4 after 11 weeks. If your pregnancy is healthy (which it certainly seems to be), the placenta is making its own and there's no benefit to continued supplementation. That being said, my OB's office was willing to check it for me if I asked... did they say they *wouldn't* test it for you or they usually don't? I can't see any harm in it, so I don't know why they'd refuse it. If it's really bothering you, you could always go to one of those stand alone labs that will test for just about anything..

Congrats on 11 weeks! You are doing awesome!

Respond to this message   
De2
(Login De2)

Re: It's ok

November 18 2014, 1:15 PM 

Will a stand-alone lab test me without a doctor's referral?? If so I will go.

Respond to this message   
Leigh
(Login leigh74)

yes

November 19 2014, 8:26 AM 

Yes, they will. Some will bill your insurance, some make you pay out of pocket. I went to one of them to get my homocysteine level run and there were no questions asked. They'll basically run anything..

Respond to this message   
De2
(Login De2)

that's good to know

November 19 2014, 8:30 AM 

I just hate it when I want to get medical testing, but am told "we need your doctor's permission". It just feels like another obstacle. If I have to pay out of pocket, I will.

Respond to this message   
RainbowCatcher
(Login RainbowCatcher)

You sure can

November 19 2014, 3:44 PM 

Order your own and pay out of pocket... try walkinlab or directlabs

Respond to this message   
Jen
(Login skubadok)

What Leigh said

November 20 2014, 10:41 PM 

My RE stopped my PIO at 9 weeks, some even do it a little sooner than that. At 11 weeks you are GOOD! I know it's hard not to worry, but like Leigh said, your pregnancy is off to a good start, the placenta is doing its job. You don't need to test, and you don't need the progesterone. I know it's scary, sometimes the progesterone can even drop a little at this point, it's normal, and ok. In a few weeks you will look back and realize you were worried needlessly!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement