<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

too many baby clothes

June 23 2015 at 8:40 PM
De22  (Login De22)

I got all baby clothing as presents from people, and it was all newborn sizes that my twins have outgrown already (and they are only 7 weeks old). I need to sell them, and hopefully use the money to buy formula and diapers that I badly need. Some of the baby clothing still has the tags and have never been worn. I do not want to sell on craigslist for several reasons, so is there a better way to sell these off at a decent price? I've heard that infant clothing does not sell well in consignment stores, not sure why.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Hi,did you join a local moms of multiples group?

June 24 2015, 6:51 AM 

Ours has classified advertisements on it that are only seen by the other members, and people are always posting things exactly like this. Also, there are frequent discussions on getting formula and diapers as cheaply as possible. I expect that the reason that infant clothes may not sell well in consignment stores is that small babies spend so much time in onesies that people aren't inclined to spend much on nicer clothes. Also, they probably get a lot as gifts, as you did.

I don't blame you for not wanting to sell on Craigslist, having had my own negative experience there. I think any forum you can access that allows advertisements and is not open to the public would work better. If you're open to suggestions on formula and diapers, we could have that discussion here, too. I remember how oppressive the expense of formula and diapers was and what a relief it was when they started solid food. Someone on Freecycle gave away two tall BJ's cans of formula, and I got them, and I felt as though I'd won the lottery.

{{{Hugs}}} and wishing you luck with this,

Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
De22
(Login De22)

MOM

June 24 2015, 8:19 AM 

I am in a Moms of Multiples facebook group; I've seen them post their clothing for sale, but it seems not much of it sells. I think they have the same problem I do: received too much clothing as gifts.

I am open to any suggestions on saving money on formula, diapers, etc.

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

OK, well, forgive me in advance . . .

June 24 2015, 9:12 AM 

If you're already familiar with the information that I found useful. I wish I had more compelling ideas about how to get more cash for the infant clothes, but I'm not sure I have any very compelling ideas. You might try to find a venue that targets older women who might be buying for grandchildren?

On formula: I am not a big sprouthead, but because dairy fat is an accumulation point for pesticides, I did want to use organic formula. I used Safeway's O brand, which I personally think is likely OEMed by Nature's Best. But, as consumption went up, I abandoned organic. Baby formula is regulated by law, so don't worry too much about whose you're using, although I wouldn't use any not manufactured in the U.S. or Canada. I've heard Costco formula is a good buy, but Safeway seemed to match their prices. If Safeway or one of their affiliate stores that sell their Mom to Mom brands are convenient, check out their prices. When my twins were babies (admittedly, 5 years out), they seemed to be consciously trying to maintain price parity on formula and diapers with Costco (and our nearest Costco is 15 miles away, while I can walk to Safeway). K-Mart and Babies R Us also run some good sales on formula. I'm thinking Target probably runs sales, too, and if you use your Red debit or credit card, you get 5% off. So, warehouse store, if you belong to one, may be your best bet, but don't assume it's the best deal.

On diapers: This is more of a wild card, because I think different diaper brands work better for different babies. We found Safeway's store brand diapers to be better quality than Costco's, and as I mentioned, they seemed to be trying to keep their price competitive. On the other hand, lots of women really like the Costco diapers. YMMV. You may also get better prices with automatic delivery on Amazon Mom. If you can get some cloth diapers for home use and conserve the disposables for trips out, that might help, too.

I hope other ladies will have suggestions here. You're in such a hellacious time right now, and the expense is so overwhelming. I tried my best to breast feed, but I couldn't make enough milk to have much economic impact.

Hang in there!

Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login De22)

formula

June 24 2015, 11:20 AM 

Thanks.
We don't have safeway or k mart here, but we have Costco and I am a member. I've bought Similac at Costco, do they have their own store (generic) brand of formula? I never noticed.

I will check with Babies R Us to see about sales on formula. I wonder if they advertise their weekly sales online.

I make very little breast milk at all. A lactation consultant told me that in order to make a lot of milk, that a new mom needs at least 4 uninterrupted hours of sleep every night. I currently only get about 2-3 continuous hours of sleep at a time. She also told me to take a large dosage of Fenugreek, which I did for a while but it gave me horrible body odor, and I think there are no studies done on the safety of this herb in large doses. I read that it can affect the pancreas. I became wary of it, so no longer take a lot of it.

Respond to this message   
shayrose
(Login shayrose)

An idea where to sell baby clothes

June 24 2015, 6:01 PM 

I used to be very active here, but life with now almost 7 year old twins prevents that. I do lurk often, though, and saw your post about selling baby clothes. May I suggest you check out T h r e d u p dotcom? (take out spaces). It is a wonderful online consignment store that now accepts baby clothes. I don't know if there are size restrictions, but wanted to throw it out as an idea. They will send you a bag, which you fill and send back free of charge. They examine the clothing, set a price and you choose how to receive payment, whether credit or out right payment. Might be worth a look! Best wishes!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Respond to this message   
BlessedThistle
(Login Blessed_Thistle)

Are you getting manufacturer's coupons?

June 25 2015, 8:04 AM 

"Luckily" since I lost my job while they were in the NICU, they were WIC eligible, which was good because even with pumping about half their milk supply then nursing, the Enfacare was not cheap (and there was no generic preemie formula then). But the coupons are a big help to many as I understand. Diapers I used Amazon Mom for. We want from Pampers Swaddlers to Huggies Little Movers and eventually to their cheaper ones (I did not mind the smell of Swaddlers but some diapers smell ghastly to me and Huggies had no scent). I know I was fortunate because even not working their first year at home (not that I was not looking for a suitable job), WIC, Medicaid, their SSI and unemployment made living pretty easy here in small-town Texas. I am no help on the clothes because I always donated ours. I would check thredup's reviews though before using them - some are not too flattering to them! Do you have a local trading post on FB since you understandably do not want to use CL?
CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Argh, yes, read those reviews. nt

June 25 2015, 8:12 AM 

Respond to this message   
Dixiechic
(Login dnj01)

The clothes with tags

June 25 2015, 11:03 AM 

If you are able to figure out where the unused clothing came from, I would try to return it that store. Of course, they would not give you your money back. Could you by any chance ask the people who gave the unused clothes to you where they purchased it. It would not offend me at all if someone asked me where I bought the clothes. I don't ever buy someone newborn clothes because they grow out of them so quickly. Probably not a politically correct answer, but maybe a possibility.

Respond to this message   
De22
(Login De22)

receipts

June 25 2015, 8:00 PM 

I know that a few items came from TARGET, and still have the tags on them - but I don't have a receipt.

Respond to this message   
Kenny
(Login Kenny2006)
Moderators

Dee, you may be able to get store credit

June 26 2015, 7:42 AM 

for their value, which you can use to get diapers/ formula. If they have Target tags I'd try. just tell them you received as gift and would like to pick out something different. Just do it very soon, as the credit they will give you would decrease to current price and they are always clearing out/ moving stuff through. In general, you won't find a way to sell baby clothes that gets you more than 10% of their value (if you are lucky). You could do a bulk batch for like $20 probably. Even new, kids' clothes are just not worth much on resale sad.gif. Worth a try with target stuff though! Best,
Kenny

Respond to this message   
De22
(Login De22)

right

June 26 2015, 6:45 PM 

I will see what Target's return policy is.

Respond to this message   
De22
(Login De22)

got store credit

June 29 2015, 10:20 AM 

at Target. They let me return the clothes yesterday; they still had the tags on them and had not been worn, so they gave me store credit without a receipt.

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Good show!

June 30 2015, 6:44 AM 

Because Target probably also has pretty affordable diapers and formula. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
green.elephant
(Login green.elephant)

facebook

June 25 2015, 2:46 PM 

I've had the most luck selling baby clothes on local Facebook mom's group - better than craigslist happy.gif

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement