<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

dd refused to have formula or milk in any form

July 7 2015 at 3:54 PM
Gotlucky2014  (Login Gotlucky2014)

Please help if you had been in this situation. Dd got viral infection in her throat, gums (inside her mouth was res). Now she is recovering from it. The er didn't give anything because the second time we went to er the doctor said it has been too long since she had this viral. Drug helps if viral is treated in the first 10 days affected. With no medicine dd has been sick and refused to eat anything. Now she is better eating very very small. What worries me a lot and I need help with is she doesn't take any of her formula. I even tried regular milk (home). But she refused even in cereals.
She started the daycare. I picked her early yesterday and today. And they give me the papered saying "refused milk, refuses to eat" I am wreck here. Before the tic and now this. I love dd but need how to handle her. Pls and thank you.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Leigh
(Login leigh74)

Is she refusing formula at home, too?

July 7 2015, 8:00 PM 

When DS started daycare at about 8.5 months, he refused to eat or take milk during the first week or so he was there. It was awful and I was a complete wreck over it! I spent my days watching the video monitors and thinking I'd have to quit work and stay home with him... just remembering stresses me out! But the staff were wonderful and caring and they were very, very patient with him (and me). It took a while, but eventually they won him over and suddenly, one day, he decided it was ok and everything changed. He ate well, he napped well, and he clearly enjoyed his time there (to the point where he wasn't ready to leave when I picked him up!). One thing I did was to stay there for about 15-20 minutes in the mornings and afternoons and play. It seemed to keep him understand that I believed it was a safe environment.

The key, though, is that he ate well at home and breastfed like crazy to make up for what he wasn't getting at daycare. It's hard to tell if your DD isn't eating because she's still sick or because she's unhappy with the change. Has she lost weight? Does she seem happy otherwise? How many wet diapers a day is she having now?

I'm sorry you're still struggling. I hope it gets better very soon!
Leigh

Respond to this message   
Gotlucky2014
(Login Gotlucky2014)

no drinking at all!! home and daycare

July 8 2015, 7:54 AM 

Hi Leigh I am in roller coaster. I think dd is still sick or recovering from the viral infection she got in her mouth. The doctors told me to give her the fluids in a syringes. I do that with her water and the last two days yogurts. She refused milk or formula at home. The daycare aren't helping me, I just came from them. She said we have so many kids and we can't force her to eat or drink. It would have been great if they have video monitor. Dd has lot around one kilo. I am worry idf she is getting enough nutrient as she doesn't drink milk. What do I do? I don't know how I will go back to work. I told to work I am coming back in September for half day, afternoon. I thought I will clean, prepare things at home they go to work.after work pick her up and come home. I am alone, no relative at all. The only people I know are the colleagues at work. Please give me suggestion. Do I go back to state where his relatives are? At least for one year. Oh the other thing this daycare they don't feed babies, like holing their bottles, spoon feeding them they have mostly 15 months babies. My dd can't hold her bottle, forget to put food in her mouth. The lady said" your dd is weak". Please help. Going out to grap groceries.thanks

Respond to this message   
Leigh
(Login leigh74)

Re: no drinking at all!! home and daycare

July 8 2015, 10:32 AM 

Remind me how old your DD is? (I'm thinking around 8 months, but I can't remember for sure). If you think she's still recovering from the virus, maybe now is not the best time to start her in daycare, especially if you're not going back to work until September? 1 kilo is a lot for a little one to lose. If you can keep her home and syringe feed her until she's eating and drinking normally again, it seems like that would be best.

As for the daycare, what's the age range in her room? Is your DD significantly younger than the rest? Was the statement "Your DD is weak" referring to her current condition because she's been sick or was the caregiver implying that she's weak for her age in general? It might be worth talking to the director if you think they're expecting too much from her, especially if she's developmentally on track according to her pediatrician. My DS learned to hold his own bottle pretty quickly after starting daycare, so I bet it's a skill she'll pick up soon, but she has to really want the milk/formula in order to be motivated enough to learn. When DS was in the infant room, which went to 12 months, learning to feed himself was also one of the skills they worked on and mastered before moving up to the next room.

It seems like moving back to the States is a drastic measure to take, but if you're feeling completely overwhelmed and don't have any help, maybe it's worth considering. Before deciding to uproot your life, though, I would wait until DD is healthy and see how everything goes. Viruses, especially things like HFM (which is what this sounds like), are tough on them and can have a pretty long recovery time. And don't hesitate to go back to the pediatrician if you're really worried!

Hang in there.
Leigh

Respond to this message   
Gotlucky2014
(Login Gotlucky2014)

dd just turned 10 months

July 8 2015, 12:35 PM 

She is 10 months and 5days. She was on purée food but theirs isn't. I pick her around noon. She stays from 10am to noon for lunch and I planned to continue and gradually increase her staying till 4:30pm. But that sometimes seems to me unrealistic. Her comment about she is weak is comparing with the group they have and most of them are 14 to 17months, one 6months.he is held often and one my dd age who eats very well and crawls. She is in infant room. I couldn't understand why they expect more and they don't purée for her. I told them if she eats. It must be purée form. And they said they will purée for her. Most kids in their are older then her and eats those food. But her it is new skills for to chew, on top of that new environment and being sick and not having any appetite. Mostly I worry if she would ever drink milk again? I will go back to paediatrician if she continues refusing the milk. I need a substitute for that. Yes, I want to give myself time till end of august and then reassess my situation. Do you know what can be a milk substitute for her? Thank you so much

Respond to this message   
jkl
(Login JKL41903)

my take

July 8 2015, 10:42 AM 

It sounds to me like eating was very painful for her when she had the virus and now she won't eat/drink in fear of it hurting. (did she have foot and mouth--cocksackie?) I think if you gave her small amounts very frequently she will eventually get over it. This may be too hard for the daycare to deal with--can you take some time off work? Have a babysitter come? You can also bring her to a feeding clinic, although I'm not sure how long those appts take to get. In the meantime keep an eye on her--she may need IV fluids if she gets too dehydrated. I would bring her to the pediatrician if you are worried. Are yo allowed to give her pedialyte or anything like that? Ask the peds. Good luck.

jkl

Also, my daycare definitely feeds the babies milk or food if they need help, so that's a little worrying. The usually encourage the babies to do as much as possible on their own though so usually daycare babies do things before stay at home babies (my kids could hold a sippy before 1 yr I think) --but I think this issue would be beyond most daycare's ability to deal with.

This message has been edited by JKL41903 on Jul 8, 2015 10:51 AM

Respond to this message   
Gotlucky2014
(Login Gotlucky2014)

you got it very well

July 8 2015, 12:47 PM 

Dd is scare of eating. she had mouth cocksackie that is what the er doctor said. First she tastes then she takes couple sips from zippy cups, or spoon. Yes, the iv the first doctor said she needs but alternatives we can give her in syringes. So I chose that when the doctor said it is not easy on little hands. Now she doesn't need iv we passes that stage. How long does it take someone to recover from this illness? Dd has been sick since June 15 and we took her to er on June 20. She doesn't take pedialyte at all maybe she didn't like the tast. I don't think it is beyond the daycare's ability because when I went to meet them they said they will work with her needs and development from where she is, not where most of them are. I will continue taking her only morning and then see how things go. I never heard cocksackie, how could I help my dd please. Particularly to take her formula. Thank you so much.

Respond to this message   
Daisy
(Login loochieuk)

Hi Gotlucky. If she had pain in her mouth, that

July 8 2015, 11:13 AM 

may be a reason to refuse food/drink if it hurts her. Are you giving regular baby paracetamol (Acetaminophen) and/or ibuprofen? That can help relieve the pain and make eating more comfortable. You can alternate the two meds. if needed.

If you think she is dehydrated, you can buy the baby rehydration solution from the pharmacy which can help her.

Feeding little amounts of soft food sounds good plus water to keep her hydrated. I think milk is one of the most common things to avoid when children are feeling ill.

I do agree that she seems very young to be in childcare if you do not have to send her and you are at home? Not least because she could still be infectious? I would keep her away from childcare for the time being if you possibly can in order to nurse her back to health with you.

Do go back to the doctor if you are worried.

Best of luck - hang in there.

Daisy xxx

Respond to this message   
Gotlucky2014
(Login Gotlucky2014)

i will keep her next week with me

July 8 2015, 12:56 PM 

Do you think if she will ever take milk again? the hydration drink we have here is only pedialyte, is there other ones. She didn't like the tast of her. Do you know anything that can replace the milk for her.
Thank you

Respond to this message   
Leigh
(Login leigh74)

Yes

July 8 2015, 1:16 PM 

Hand, foot, and mouth is the common name for cocksackie, which is what I was guessing she had. It's quite common in daycare facilities, especially in the summer, and very contagious. My DS has had it twice. The first time was a mild case and he got over it quickly, but the second time was awful. He spiked a high fever, stopped eating, and was generally miserable for at least a week. He also had sores all over his body, including inside his mouth and throat. Ibuprofen was extremely helpful for fever reducing and for alleviating the pain associated with it. DS only refused milk for about a week, but my pediatrician mentioned we could make a mixture of 1 part antacid (like mylanta) with 1 part benadryl liquid and swab the inside of the mouth and tongue with the mixture to help numb the painful areas. Something to consider.

She'll take milk again, but it might take a while for her to realize it's no longer painful! Keep trying with the milk - maybe making it ice cold would help? - and if all else fails, keep using the syringes to get some liquid into her.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Respond to this message   
Gotlucky2014
(Login Gotlucky2014)

thank you so much i feek i should have posted

July 8 2015, 9:50 PM 

Here as soon I saw my dd wasn't feeling well. I will try with cold milk tomorrow morning. Huge hugs you were so helpful. I will try also the mixture. But if it gets into her stomach. Is it harmful?
Wow thank you

Respond to this message   
Leigh
(Login leigh74)

No, not harmful

July 9 2015, 6:12 AM 

My ped said that some people use it to coat the back of the throat, so it can definitely be ingested in small amounts. Because it has benadryl, though, you don't want her to ingest too much.

Respond to this message   
Gotlucky2014
(Login Gotlucky2014)

many thanks

July 9 2015, 8:54 PM 

happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login FLGal)

Re: Yes

July 13 2015, 7:46 PM 

Leigh, you need to also add the one part an anbesol in order for the condition to numb. We've used that too.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login FLGal)

Re: Yes

July 13 2015, 7:47 PM 

Leigh, you need to also add the one part an anbesol in order for the condition to numb. We've used that too.

Respond to this message   
Leigh
(Login leigh74)

interesting

July 14 2015, 6:40 AM 

That is definitely not in my pediatricians instructions, nor is it in the ones I've found on-line. It makes sense, but you definitely don't want them swallowing it with the addition of anbesol. Thanks for the tip.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login FLGal)

Re: interesting

July 15 2015, 9:48 PM 

You're only swabbing on in small doses; swallowing wouldn't be harmful.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login FLGal)

Why am I coming up as anonymous???

July 15 2015, 9:49 PM 

My screen name shows when I'm logged in...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement