<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Silly me! Kindergarten supplies.

August 4 2015 at 12:18 PM
Maggie in VA  (Login maggie1961)

Our elementary school has an extensive list that I need to purchase x2 for my kids to attend kindergarten. So, I guess I already knew this, but schools simply do not supply the art materials and stuff that they provided when we were kids. I don't know how poor people survive in this country. At least the tax holiday is this weekend, although my paycheck will be mostly gone by then. Maggie (in VA)

This message has been edited by maggie1961 on Aug 4, 2015 12:20 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
De22
(Login De22)

Re: Silly me! Kindergarten supplies.

August 4 2015, 2:32 PM 

when I was a kid, art supplies were covered by the school although regular supplies were not.

My school purchases all the supplies, although I pay for the pack that they give my child at the beginning of the school year. But at least it saves me time, so I don't have to go hunt for everything myself.

Respond to this message   
Ariadne
(Login ariadne2)

It's amazing to me how different schools are

August 4 2015, 8:45 PM 

So far, we have not had to buy any school supplies. (And no, we are not in a wealthy school district. To the contrary, it is one of the largest in the state & the majority of the students are in need of assistance.) I'm still waiting to learn what this year holds, though. I have no clue. School starts on the 17th here so I hope to hear something soon.

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

We live in one of the wealthiest communities in the U.S.

August 5 2015, 8:10 AM 

Not that we are one of the wealthiest families in it. The PTA sells kits with all the stuff required in them through a company called EduKit, and while I think I could have bought the supplies somewhat cheaper as I was past the discount date, I went ahead and purchased them as I did not even understand the description of one of the items on the list. I was worried that if all the families are headed out to the stores for these items, I might end up having to go to multiple stores to get them. Oh, well, at least I had that option. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
Maybelline
(Login Maybelline)

I have spent well over $300 on school supplies

August 5 2015, 1:53 PM 

Probably closer to $400, if not more, for 3 kids. For one I only bought a relatively cheap backpack, clorox wipes, and tissues (because her teacher said she didn't need anything else). More than half of the rest was for my middle-schooler. That doesn't include laptop fees ($35 for each).

Respond to this message   
De22
(Login De22)

Re: I have spent well over $300 on school supplies

August 5 2015, 3:43 PM 

That is a lot of money, although I don't count backpack as a school supply. My child's new backpack was $20.

Its no wonder that some kids wind up short at the beginning of school.

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Mmmmm, I'm not surprised . . .

August 6 2015, 6:48 AM 

And I've read enough and talked with other parents enough to not be shocked by this list of stuff I'm supposed to bring. It's just that it's all stuff the schools supplied, at least in early grades, when I was a kid. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
thesameboat
(Login thesameboat)

Wow! That's outrageous!

August 6 2015, 10:41 PM 

I don't know how poor people manage. I wonder, too, about the Clorox wipes. They don't use anything like that in German schools. There is a sink in each classroom with soap and paper towels, though.

Respond to this message   
Maybelline
(Login Maybelline)

Re: Wow! That's outrageous!

August 7 2015, 9:07 AM 

Here, some supplies go into a pool for the classroom: multiple packages of notebook paper, reams of copy paper, dozens of pencils, pens for grading papers, etc. So, those of us who do provide what is requested are basically also providing for those who don't.

Parents are asked to provide clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, and tissues for the classroom. We get notes sent home from the teacher when the supply runs low.

This message has been edited by Maybelline on Aug 10, 2015 2:08 PM

Respond to this message   
Hope2009
(Login Hope2009)

Hi Maggie...in our elementary school....m

August 6 2015, 10:28 AM 

in Canada, we just pay a school supply fee...for Will in kindergarten last year it was around $50. dollars and that provided him with everything material wise he needed. This is a public funded school but it is rated as the best in our valley. The only other thing we have to pay throughout the year are for field trips...busing and the actual activity that they are attending.

We have a private school in our area where the fee is $10,000 a year...it is Christian based and I feel our kids have a better education at the public school...plus there is more time to spend on education rather than teaching religious beliefs.

Also,although we live in a more affluent part of town, if a parent is unable to pay the base school supply amount we have a fund that covers that for families who are struggling to pay education fees.

Can you believe that our babies are all in school or getting close to going? We made it through those tough early years...wouldn't it be cool if we as a board could stay together and connect as our kids continue to grow? My Will is so excited about grade 1...and my twins only have one more year until kindergaren for them...exciting times for sure.

Blessings from hope

Respond to this message   
birdy1600
(Login birdy1600)

Me too! Sticker shock!

August 8 2015, 7:01 AM 

My first year 61 bucks and only halfway through supply list!

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

OK, well maybe the kit isn't so uneconomical, then . . .

August 10 2015, 7:00 AM 

I think it was $63, although I still have a few items I need to get that aren't included in the kit. My sister in Durham has told me how seriously the N.C. schools are underfunded, so maybe your list was longer than mine. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
Divababy
(Login divababy)

its so expensive. i don't know how less lucky parents handle it.

August 8 2015, 12:48 PM 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

This message has been edited by divababy on Aug 8, 2015 12:49 PM

Respond to this message   
Piper
(Login PiperJones)

Very expensive!

August 9 2015, 10:19 AM 

When ds started first grade in a public school, I was amazed at the quantity of stuff they wanted. And even worse, I was told all of the things needed to be name brand!! I politely told the teacher that I did not buy name brand supplies in our home and I was not about to do it for a taxpayer-funded institution! (She agreed with me and sent a note to all the parents!)

One thing I started doing several years ago, was to buy things when they went on clearance after back to school sales for the following year. We keep a drawer full of stuff and that way can even help supply teachers in lower income schools at the beginning of the year. (one of the teachers at our school collects things for a teacher friend at another school)

I only buy for one child! For all those with twins, I feel for you!

Respond to this message   
Maybelline
(Login Maybelline)

Earbuds, etc

August 10 2015, 2:08 PM 

Does anyone else have earbuds on their supply list? How about flash drives?

Just curious.

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Earbuds, yes.

August 11 2015, 1:04 PM 

And for kindergarteners! Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
Ariadne
(Login ariadne2)

Yes, ear buds or headphones for 2nd grade this year, plus

August 11 2015, 7:55 PM 

marker pens.

Still waiting to find out about kindergarten.

Respond to this message   
Ariadne
(Login ariadne2)

So no school supplies to buy for K, but

August 13 2015, 7:49 PM 

they request a check for $40.00 to cover miscellaneous art supplies & will send requests throughout the year for hand wipes, Kleenex, dry erase board pens, etc.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement