<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

high cholesterol

August 6 2015 at 6:09 PM
Gotlucky2014  (Login Gotlucky2014)

I did bloodwork to check again the diabetes I got while I was pg. no diabetes but high cholesterol. I like my latte with extra sugar.... thinking what should I do to treat... I used to be extremely skinny before IF treatment. Now I have big tummy,... I really want to dust off myself. And not to give excuse about my lovely dd and not having time. Do you ladies workout? How often?

Thank you.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login Maybelline)

I don't...

August 7 2015, 11:59 AM 

But I really need to. I used to be thin and in good shape. Now I'm fluffy with rising blood pressure. I have put on a ridiculous amount of weight since my kids were born and don't seem to have time for any type of routine exercise. If it wasn't pitch black outside when I get up in the mornings I would try to walk/jog before everyone gets up. I totally know that I need to cut back on the carbs (I understand "latte with extra sugar" wink.gif ) but don't seem to have time to prepare the right type of foods. I have tried preparing food for the week on the weekends, but that leaves little time for housework and, more importantly, quality time to spend with the kids.

Yes, I am making excuses! I really wish I could put extra hours in a day!!!

Respond to this message   
Al
(Login AlinAsia)

I do, but.....

August 7 2015, 10:31 PM 

I'm lucky that after E is in bed at night, I can get in some exercise, so at the moment I've found a 2 classes locally that run 8.00-9.00pm once a week (a zumba class and a yoga/pilates) and 2 nights I can get in 30 minutes of speed walking (and after I'm all sweaty from the speed walking I do 5 minutes of some of the things I used to do with my trainer at the gym in my pre-baby days, like planks, squats, push ups, tricep dips etc on the park benches nearby or in my lounge room). If I can't leave, I put on some headphones and jog on the spot in the lounge with arm exercises (must look hilarious, glad no-one is watching) and then use a couple of small free weights I bought at the sports shop.

but.... exercise doesn't impact your cholesterol that much. You can be super fit and still have really high cholesterol (as some of my gym friends discovered) because it's really driven by what you eat. High meat / high fat eating drives high cholesterol and (not surprisingly) low fat / low meat eating reverses it. So swap the latte for a long black with a little milk and you could still keep the sugar. I manage to keep my sweet tooth happy with some 70% Lindt dark choc (it took a while to retrain my tastebuds to like it but my big motivator is being alive to see E grow up, since I'm all he has).

More food ideas here:
http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/how-lower-cholesterol-naturally
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol/art-20045192
http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol

So you could bring the number down without having to commit to a big workout schedule because let's face it, who has time or energy with a job and kids ??? If you can squeeze in 30 minutes of really fast walking two or 3 times a week, then you're good !

Good luck. It's so hard if you're tired after a day of work and/or it's really cold outside sad.gif I have tried but I'm simply useless in the morning so for me, it has to be a night time thing.

Al

Respond to this message   
Serendipitous
(Login Serendipitous1)

I don't but husband does. Bad!

August 8 2015, 7:47 PM 

He is a young man - 33. We discovered it when testing for life insurance, dr was horrified. So confusing because he works out a ton and is not really overweight. It was our lifestyle/my cooking sad.gif no more red meat except on special occasions. There are low cholesterol cook books you can buy. Fish is good alternative to eating chicken all the time and I think I have finally figured out how to cook it. Try making smaller changes for a few months and then getting blood drawn again to see if you need to keep ramping up changes or if you've stabilized.

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Yeah, a lot of it is genetic . . .

August 10 2015, 6:55 AM 

My husband had glowing bloodwork (and mostly still does), even though he ate the most fat-heavy, sugary diet you can imagine, with next to no fruits and vegetables. He has gotten much better diet-wise, though, and gets lots of exercise between biking and yard work. I'm the one who needs diet and exercise now sad.gif . Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
Gotlucky2014
(Login Gotlucky2014)

make sense genetic

August 10 2015, 12:59 PM 

Is the cause. My mom passed away from heart attack very young, age of 59. I am gaining weigh on certain area...
Thank you

Respond to this message   
Gotlucky2014
(Login Gotlucky2014)

thank you

August 9 2015, 6:31 PM 

It's changing food habits. I don't eat red meat often, but my food is oily, and rice. I need to change that. Thank you again sharing your experiences.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement