Greece & Turkey Defence Forum Europe, Middle East & Africa
Defence Forum
Asia & Pacific Defence Forum
Help, Suggestions & Complaints

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

S-300 PMU1 Active in Crete

December 23 2005 at 11:45 PM
No score for this post

ALEXANDER THE GREAT  (Login ALEXANDER-THE-GREEK)
Hellenic Hoplites (Greece)

its a little old news, but i just found these photos, and thought i should share them with you
Enjoy!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

And some OSA-AK (SA-8 GECKO)
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Agia-Sofia: The Greatest Church of Christianity now operates as a museum despite the fact that is a sacred place and must operate for the reason it was build

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

D1GENIS
(Login D1GENIS)

Re: S-300 PMU1 Active in Crete

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 12:13 AM 

You thought right nephew, I enjoyed them, thanks

YOU CAN CHOOSE YOUR FRIENDS BUT YOU CAN'T CHOOSE YOUR NEIGHBOURS

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Gcap
(Login G_Capo)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 12:28 AM 

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53823&page=25

yes I'am that same G-Capo

--------------------------------------------

In the Andes Mountains,Only Colombian Marines can survive

Merry Christmas

Marsman
(Login GrkWebMaster)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 2:38 AM 

Thanks for those photos i like alot.

See my Site Greek Military Photos
http://www.greekmilitary.net

Leonidas
(Login Leonidas-V)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 2:52 AM 

WOW!!Those S-300 must be really HUGE!!
Excellent photos Alex,as always..

Agamemnon
(Login Agamemnon_CY)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 3:24 AM 

Nice piece of equipment for us. at least it worth the time and the money of the taxpayers, mostly cypriots.

el turco
(Login sipahi)
WAFFer

hey

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 4:06 AM 

Nice piece of equipment for us. at least it worth the time and the money of the taxpayers, mostly cypriots.

Buy some more u'd need it when we invade the rest of cyprus... and everyting u have on that island would be either destroyed or will end up in turkish inventory

Anonymous
(Login burkon)
The Conquerors (Turkey)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 5:59 AM 

Having the strongest weapon may not always be the most clever idea. Seeing the size of the weapon you are using - turks may attack with similar strenght that may cause more deaths to its surroundings.

You may never know what turkish side will use against these weapons - better to keep them totally away from places where civilians are living.

"It was when I entered the military preparatory school and put on its uniform, that a feeling of strength came to me, as if I had become master of my own destiny."

Anonymous
(Login salonica)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 9:54 AM 

Since S-300s are in crete...

Turkey could use..........hmmmmmm???
What Turkey could use?????Oh i got it.You could use F-16s and F-4 2020.
Yes yes ACs is what you can use.Nothing else can be used in crete.
Do you know that S-300 are ATBM capable?????
Meaning that an S-300 can make a firecracker out of a Toros.And Toros is 1/10 of an F-16 and 1/15 of an F-4.Imagine what it can do to an F-4.S-300 can engage 5 targets at the same time at 100km away.
And guess what.Where there is an S-300 battery you can count that somewhere around are hidden 30mm artemis guns 2-3 Tor M-1s and OSAs.So if i was a general i would never send any ACs where an S-300 system is active.

Anonymous
(Login burkon)
The Conquerors (Turkey)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 10:34 AM 

That is why the destruction will be bigger on Cypriot side in war time as you will kill many turks than ever. Turkish army is very well seeing these threats. Cyprus army is not comparable how it was before.

Death toll may be very high on both side. I am not sure if that will effect Turkey ('casue we reproduce like hell everyday) but it may effect Cyprus for the next 3-4 generations.

Yeah you will hunt 30-40 F-16s with s300s - destroy 2-3 ships kill lets say 70.000 turkish soldiers on island - then what? Will there be a city left for you to survive? You do not have infinite s300s to defend yourselves. It is funny many people thinks turkish army has no power and technology to defend and attack. This is not true and this habit kills you as this may cause a war in betwen.

That is why I find the act of Greek goverment very honorable during IMIA/KARDAK crisis as they have forseen these events that we do not see now and prevented such war.

We should all put every effort to stop war between each other.

"It was when I entered the military preparatory school and put on its uniform, that a feeling of strength came to me, as if I had become master of my own destiny."

This message has been edited by burkon on Dec 24, 2005 10:48 AM

Landos
(Login Landos)
WAFFer

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 12:18 PM 

Since S-300s are in crete...

Turkey could use..........hmmmmmm???

Harpy's. LOL.

The WeatherPixie

D1GENIS
(Login D1GENIS)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 12:27 PM 

Just for the record, those "babies" are defencive weapons, not offencive.
So for them to be used, Turkey would have to be the attacker.
Every country has the right to defend it's territory.

Anonymous
(Login burkon)
The Conquerors (Turkey)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 12:46 PM 

Who will protect Cypriots in a war against turkish land forces? S-300s in Crete or tanks rokcets you guys are posting here?

I am having diffuculties to understand you. You should be more clever enough not to hide behind of these S300 stories each time. It will not prevent the predictable end.

Only solution is not to go in a war.

This message has been edited by burkon on Dec 24, 2005 1:00 PM

D1GENIS
(Login D1GENIS)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 1:15 PM 

Very true,
Nobody in his/her right mind wants war, war would mean devastation of both sides. Lets hope all the weapons are just deterants against war.
Hell, I don't want a war. Been through one already and wasn't pleasent.

Anonymous
(Login beryoza)
Moderators

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 1:30 PM 

"Who will protect Cypriots in a war against turkish land forces? S-300s in Crete or tanks rokcets you guys are posting here?"

Cyprus has ~200 modern tanks 500+ IFV and hundreds of
guns/howitzers protected by an excellent SAM-AAA
umbrella.Does that answer your question?

-------------
WEAK AND LAME
-------------

Anonymous
(Login burkon)
The Conquerors (Turkey)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 1:30 PM 

My dad was naval officer in cyprus war in 1972 and stayed in cyprus for 2 years. My grandpa was a land army officer in 1st division army in Istanbul and they moved to greek border when the war started in case if greeks would respond.

I know from my parents - they were telling these were the worst days ever as boths sides were loosing many good people and my mom was poorly waiting for a note from my dad and her father just to know if they were at least alive. (I wasnt born that time)

There is no joke about that. Seeing people's discussions here and telling - I am waiting that day to kill a turk or greek - unbeleivable.

D1GENIS
(Login D1GENIS)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 2:46 PM 

Burkon, I was in the war in Cyprus in 74 and it wasn't pleasent, most people here have no idea what war is, it certainly isn't like you see in the films.
War is no joke, as you said.

In 74 I was recalled in the army and was fighting near Nikosia airport, when I was released I didn't know what happened to my parents who were in Famagusta at the time, I knew they used to go out to the villages during the day because of the TAF bombings and returning in the evening, the last time they left, they were not to go back because the Turkish army surrounded Famagusta, so they stayed in the village, for 3 days I didn't know what happened to them until I eventually went to a village we had relatives and found them, they also didn't know if I was alive or was killed so they were just as worried as I was.

Agamemnon
(Login Agamemnon_CY)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 7:24 PM 

Although the S-300 went to Crette, instead of Cyprus, their role is not reduced at all. Crete has one of the biggest greek air-bases, and in order to attack this base it will cost Turkey a lot. the greek airplanes will be able to land and take off more easy since S-300 will give a good protection. And something else, if you think that we don't know that S-300 will be one of the first targets, then you underestimate our inteligence. So you have to expect that S-300 will be perfectly defended, and protected.

The other thing i would like to mention is that in 74, Cyprus had a civil war and Greece did not come to our aid. This time, in case of war, things will be different. This time we have good personal rifles, tanks, airforce, artilery, and some kind of navy equipment (exocet). So don't expect to walk like in 74. My father-20 years old at the time LOK- he was at the first line during the war, and they managed to break three times the turkish lines during the nights, but since we didn't have reinforcments, they used to pull back during the day. You see the turkish airfoce had the upper hand. This will not happen again-i believe.

But my personal opinion is that there will not be any war in the near future (next 50 years). Turkish, Greek, and Cypriot CEOs and politicians know that cooperating will increase their profits, and this is what matters these days.

Anonymous
(Login ntercan)
WAFFer

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 7:56 PM 

Turkey threatened landing before 60s but was stopped but the then president Johnson.Johnson wrote a letter to Inonu stating turkey would be alone if it would get into a conflict with soviets in case of a Cyprus operation.This stopped Turkey then.So turkey made some diplomatic efforts with Soviets and get their support on Cyprus matter.

On the other hand the Cyprus and Greece thought Turkey can't make an operation on the Island relying on Turkish backing up on 65(not sure of date).So they decide to make a unification.Turkey threatened military action but Greek Cypriots and Greece was overly confident and Greek cypriot newspaper had printed news like we would destroy them on shore etc..

Turkey made a intelligence game, supplied greek intelligence with fake information.While greek cypriots fortiefied their positions on the wrong beach turkey made a landing that was pretty easy.(I think we have no casualty in the landing process)

As they are in premade defensive positions Greek Cypriot force and Greek brigade in Cyprus were adventegous in the first days of the operation.But then Turkish reinforcements came and Greek cyrpiot forces thought they are doomed and scattered.

Meanwhile everyone knows the Kocatepe incident but greek cypriots shot down a Greek C-130 which was sending commandos on the island.So in an age with no IFF systems such things happen in war.(In the first gulf operation U.S. lost M1 tanks just to friendly fire none to Iraq forces)

SO overconfidence is a bad thing if you are a small country esp.Turkey can overrun South Cyprus in a matter of days.Would he do it no.Why should we invade a non turkish land and face foreign political oppression ? In 1974 Turkish army moved intentialy slow in populated areas to let civilians retrat.If they didn't after war would be problematic.

Turkey would invade Cyprus probably just in case of a war between Greece and Turkey.In the aftermath of the war such an invasion should help to get a favorable agreement in Cyprus(South would have to accept 2 seperate states in such a case etc..)

As for S-300 people speak highly of russian missile systems before they get in a war.Russian air defence wasn't succesful in arab israel wars or Kosova.Yep those were older systems but there was no HARM in the arab israel wars.
Plus S-300 is russian non-NATO system which is not compatible with current Greek airdefence.S-300 can be called the weak chain in the greek defence.

Turkey has some old russian air defence systems in Anatolian Flag training area.People were thinking about getting a S-300 radar for trainign but don't know if they ever did.Russians would sell if we pay the price.

HARPY+HARM+POPEYE this trio can get any air defence.

Anonymous
(Login Temenos)

No score for this post
December 24 2005, 8:06 PM 

greek air defence without a/c

-Hawk pip3.. 80
-ToRm1... 25
-SA8....31
-ASRAD....54
-stingers....1500
-artemis 30mm ....60
-zsu23 23mm.....510
-Mk20 20mm....300
-pac3...6
-s300....2
-crotale...9
-skyguard....12
-aim sparrow....20

greece's air defence is possibly the best in europe....in otherwords ur airforce are sitting ducks to run into a brick wall..

HOMERIC HYMN OF ARIS

Aris, exceeding in strength, chariot-rider, golden- helmed, doughty in heart, shield-bearer, Saviour of cities, harnessed in bronze, strong of arm, unwearying, mighty with the spear, O defence of Olympus, father of warlike Victory, ally of Themis, stern governor of the rebellious, leader of righteous men, sceptred King of manliness, who whirl your fiery sphere among the planets in their sevenfold courses through the aether wherein your blazing steeds ever bear you above the third firmament of heaven ; hear me, helper of men, giver of dauntless youth! Shed down a kindly ray from above upon my life, and strength of war, that I may be able to drive away bitter cowardice from my head and crush down the deceitful impulses of my soul. Restrain also the keen fury of my heart which provokes me to tread the ways of blood-curdling strife. Rather, O blessed one, give you me boldness to abide within the harmless laws of peace, avoiding strife and hatred and the violent fiends of death.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
WAFF recommends these sites

Indian Defence Analysis      [Definitive Lapse of Reason]