1815 Platinum in-depth review

May 20 2003, 11:03 AM 

Respond to this message   

Paul Boutros
(Premier Login thepurist178)
Owner

Some thoughts and photos of a Lange 1

May 24 2003, 12:05 PM 

Please allow me to share my feelings on this wonderful watch with you all…

Introduction
When I first saw pictures of the Lange 1 several years ago, it was love at first sight. The design was fresh, bold, and exciting and spearheaded the trend of the use of large date apertures in watches. To my eyes, the design was striking, harmonious, and well balanced. I knew for certain it would be mine someday.

Fast forward several years, a platinum Lange 1 with silver dial has finally found its way to me. It is now my pleasure to share with you all my personal feelings and photos on this pleasure-inducing timepiece. Let me begin with my favorite aspect of the 1.

The Dial
The rhodium plated, silver dial, with its concentric circular-grained time and seconds sub-dials, positively radiates when struck by light. This extremely fine pattern, shown in the following scan, captures and disperses incident light, emanating a subtle and mesmerizing sea of colors. While staring at the dial, I can’t help but get lost within this sea! Floating on the surface of this sea of colors, are the razor-sharp applied hour markers, made from rhodium-plated white gold. Note the superb finish on both the hour markers and the alpha, or sword hands. The wonderfully legible large date feature is elegantly framed in brilliantly polished white gold. The three of the tens digit, however, is not perfectly straight on my example, adding a human touch which I gladly forgive.

A very personal measure of quality of mine is the printing accuracy of the minute sub-division markers. On some watches, the minute hand will not correctly line up with these markers on various portions of the dial. The Lange does not disappoint on this regard-precise at every minute/hour marker. Also, the minute and hour hands precisely reach the minute and roman hour markers-another example of Lange’s fanatic attention to detail.

The Case
The hands-down, most impressive aspect of the case is its heft. The Lange 1 is just fantastic to hold. Obviously there is a very generous amount of platinum used in the case. This heft is a major contributor to the experience of owning a Lange watch. The wide, mirror polished bezel is no doubt a scratch magnet, but looks great. The side of the case has a brushed-finished central band sandwiched between two polished bands. As can be seen below, the interface between these different surfaces is sharp and pronounced. The date pusher at the 10 o’clock position on the side is finished magnificently. Note the wonderful anglage between the brushed top surface and the polished sides.

The lugs are completely mirror-polished, yet there is a lovely curved line partitioning the top from the side.

The white gold, embossed crown is the perfect size for winding comfort. If you ever have your platinum Lange 1 polished by someone not intimately familiar with Lange watches, warn them that the crown is not platinum. I have seen the logo polished away on other platinum Langes, so please be careful! Note the beautiful case back finishing near the crown.

The Movement

The movement of the Lange is a sight to behold. It’s positively hypnotizing to watch light dance off the Glashutte striping on the german silver plates. The gold chatons with their blued screws are so pleasing to the eye. The ¾ plate unfortunately leaves much of the movement hidden. In the following two pictures, note the black-polished plate for the upper escape wheel cap jewel, the anglage on every visible edge, and the consistency of the anglage on the ¾ plate. Before I embarrass myself with my lack of knowledge of watch movements, let me end my thoughts on the movement here!

Other Thoughts

Winding the Lange 1 is another major contributor to the overall ownership experience. Although butter-smooth, the resistance is just right. Once the watch starts running, the sound of the tick is creamy smooth and reminds me of the sound of cheesecloth tearing-an analogy often associated with the sound of BMW engines. A crisp and unique sound among my watches.

At 38.5 mm, the Lange 1 is the perfect size for me. The alligator strap has an excellent large-grain pattern. I do wish they used a rubber backing to prolong the life of the strap. The buckle is by far the best in the business-heavy platinum with the Lange brand boldly milled across it.

I’ve lived with the Lange 1 for about 9 months now, and in all honesty, for modern watches, I could very easily live with only the Lange and one other sports watch.

A big part of the watch collecting experience for me is presenting my collection to my closest friends. I show them vintage and modern sports and dress watches and 9 times out of 10, their favorite is the Lange 1. I think my friends have great taste!

Thanks for reading!

Best regards,

Paul Boutros

(reposted from the Lange and WatchRap forum)

Respond to this message   

alex
(Login argg)
Industry Chat

My First Lange Experience

June 4 2003, 1:00 AM 

My firts contact with Lange was through the magazine commercials and nothing more. I live in a city with 4 Lange retailers, a Patek Philippe store, a Breguet store a Blancpain store and some of the nicest watch stores I have ever seen but strangely there is absolutely no watch culture in this country!!

Then I discovered the internet and always read wonderful stories about the Lange und Söhne “experience” but for me something was wrong. Germans don’t make watches, they make cars. Watches should only be made in mountainous places where they make chocolate and have banks!! This didn’t make any sense

I continued my research on this brand, was this yet another marketing hype? The internet community’s new flavour of the month? Or really a company bringing new meaning to haute horlegerie and shaking up the high-end industry that was more than resting on its laurels?

Surprisingly I never actually went into a store to try one on, I don’t know why but I was afraid that the vendor’s selling blabla would have an adverse effect and kill the interest (which was growing bigger each day) that had sparkled in my mind.

What had attracted me the most to Lange was the fact that they had not attacked the market with an ultra complicated tourbillon, chronograph espresso making piece but a perfectly executed timepiece with one of the most original dial layouts I had ever seen (ie: the Lange1)

I finally read everything I could find on this brand, asked questions all around and finally made it to Wempe to try on the…Cabaret! Yup! It wasn’t the Lange 1 I was into but its unpopular younger brother. In general I have a preference for form watches and the Cabaret was something of the likes I had never seen, very generous proportions, a perfect dial lay out with big date at 12 and sub seconds at 6, very interesting 40s inspired lugs, thick case and an absolutely gorgeous rectangular movement the exact size of the case. Here I was face to face with perfection (I don’t want to start a new debate here on the meaning of perfection but for me it was as good as it gets).

The piece sat perfectly on the wrist, the rose gold case, black dial and touches of white (sub dial and date aperture) made an excellent mix. I talked a bit with the salesperson who was untarishable on the merits of Lange, I thanked him and walked off with a Lange catalogue under the arm determined that a Lange was what I needed to make my horological life complete.

That night I practically devoured the beautiful catalogue and by 3 o’clock in the morning my mind was made up, I need a Cabaret! I returned the next day just to try the watch on once again, as they say buy with your heart but pay with your head (I’m not sure who said this but I know I’ve heard it somewhere ) and I really wanted to be sure that Lange was worth it (stupid huh ?) but for me still Germany and Horology were two words that didn’t go together.

I took the whole week to think about it and finally one fine Saturday morning walked into the store and ordered the rose gold Cabaret with black dial and cognac coloured strap. I negotiated a small discount which became a big one since Lange raised its prices by 10% 2 days later. Anyway, I agreed with the salesperson that I would wire them the funds and would come and pick up my watch in a week. Needless to say that I had a very restless week and that it was one hell of a never ending week, felt like a whole damn month!!

I decided to make the big day into a small event and treat myself to a nice lunch with my better half, go pick the watch up then go for a drink with a WIS friend to show him my new masterpiece.

One thing I enjoy doing when I buy a new watch is not to wear it right away and keep it in its box for some time (call me weird). So for almost a week the Cabaret was in its beautiful grey Lange box, I wound it everyday admired it very often and finally after about a week could not hold back longer and on my wrist it went.

The Cabaret is a bit the black sheep of the Lange family, I have never met a Lange owner who likes this watch, my wife hates it but none of my other watches gets more compliments than my Cabaret!

And this started the madness…but that’s a whole different story

Respond to this message   

alex
(Login argg)
Industry Chat

1815 Chronograph review

June 2 2005, 2:09 AM 

click on the photo to read the review

click here for details

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page