CARVEorSTARVE

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sioux Warrior Carving Bar

February 8 2010 at 11:33 AM

Jack  (Login JackNAmy)
CCSG Board

Here is a video of me doing a demonstration of the Sioux Warrior Carving Bar. I'm proud to endorse and distribute this bar. I used the bar you see in the video for over 14 months before sending it back for evaluation. They are now available for sale for an introductory price of $150 through the site: http://www.siouxbars.com I'll also have some for sale at Ridgway.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
R. B.
(Login Nebrraska)

No new toys today

February 11 2010, 4:43 PM 

but I like the curve on the bottom, does it help in thin cuts, like roundin things? What i,m realy wonderin is what to do for my 3/8 LP 16 inch bars, the 346 is eating them alive,but I like the cheap chain and availability. I have to customize the bar any way, is there one that work,s better? or do I just need to grease the roller tip more often, high speed delema!!!

Respond to this message   

Jack
(Login JackNAmy)
CCSG Board

Re: No new toys today

February 12 2010, 11:05 AM 

R.B.,
Yea, the shape does help in rounding, but especially in scooping, my favorite move with a carving bar. Of course the bar uses 1/4 pitch chain and not 3/8. However I choose to use Stihl brand chain because it has a reputation of being hard on bars and is available all over the world (at every Stihl shop).

Respond to this message   
mw
(no login)

put some oil in that saw already...

February 12 2010, 12:05 AM 

I make that cut all the time, and never get smoke like that. Dull chains, and no oil, not good for a saw, even in rotten wood.

Respond to this message   

Jack
(Login JackNAmy)
CCSG Board

Dull as a razor

February 12 2010, 12:17 PM 

No, that chain was not dull. I've learned sharpening from a master of sharpening. I hope you're going to the Vous, I'll be happy to give you a lesson. I always use Stihl bar and chain with the oiler adjusted to empty as fast as the fuel tank. You really don't know me to assume I would fake a video shot to gain some short term advantage. Video and my reputation are very important to me. The wood I'm using in the video is not rotten but was very dry old growth. I'm also obviously plunge cutting into end grain and the wood had lots of knots in it. It wasn't clear enough for sculpture but good for the rustic look the florist wanted for those flower pots.

Respond to this message   

Butch Elrod
(Login WoodHacker)

Speaking of smoke...

February 12 2010, 12:42 PM 

In a thread at Wood Carving Illustrated, I mentioned smoke from a carving bar and immediately was told by more than one carver that I was doing something wrong because they had never seen smoke from a carving bar tip. Just for fun, I pointed them to your Sioux Bar video happy.gif

Guess some work hard and some work the equipment hard. LOL

Respond to this message   
susan
(no login)

Bar

February 12 2010, 7:41 PM 

Who makes this bar and where is it made? It's kind of a cool shape.

I was wondering myself about the cloud of smoke. Seems like when I've had smoke like that, something's heating up!

Have a great time at Ridgway.

Respond to this message   

Jack
(Login JackNAmy)
CCSG Board

Re: Bar

February 12 2010, 9:00 PM 

Susan,
The bar is made by a metallurgist/machinist from the US. He seems to want to stay some what anonymous. The smoke was indeed caused by lots of heat. Unlike any other bar I've ever used this bar can handle it. It's absolutely the best carving bar I've ever used, it'll definitely help any carver who gets one and that's the reason I agreed to be the distributor. After 14 months it had proven itself to me.

Respond to this message   

Butch Elrod
(Login WoodHacker)

Ordered mine :)

March 8 2010, 3:28 PM 

I ordered my Sioux Bar a couple of days ago and sprung for engraving of my website URL. Hopefully the engraving will take a little less time than their order page suggests.

Butch
WoodHacker.com

Respond to this message   
Shaun Coppersmith
(no login)

carving bar

October 11 2010, 10:38 AM 

I have the bar just started using it! It is by far the best thing i ever used, i thought i wouldnt like the curve . But i already love it more than the reg. ones. Theres alot of tricks ive learned already w/ that curve. awesome thats all i can say, and maybe u need to get the maker to start make all diff. sizes. I'm def. interested in a few diff. sizes. And i might be at ridgway this year w/ klock so maybe u can show me how to sharpen a chain to make it razor sharp or maybe have some tips for me now. Thanx jack!

Respond to this message   

Jack
(Login JackNAmy)
CCSG Board

Re: carving bar

November 13 2010, 9:27 PM 

We're planning on making some different sizes in the future. I use a dremel with a cut off wheel to sharpen my chain it takes a little practice but works wonders. I'll be in Rway and will show you anything I can.

Respond to this message   
R.B.
(Login Nebrraska)

I want one butt!!

March 8 2010, 8:24 PM 

I just spent 30 days on a COLD road to pay back property taxes, but if I do spend 150 it better have Souix Warrior branded on there pretty good as I am pretty proud of growing up with them, Rosebud Tribe,MY Family!!!

Respond to this message   

Jack
(Login JackNAmy)
CCSG Board

Re: I want one butt!!

March 8 2010, 9:39 PM 

The Sioux Warrior lettering is inscribed into the side of the bar so you don't have to worry it'll be there permanently.

Respond to this message   
Micheal Bihlmaier
(no login)

Hi Jack

March 11 2010, 9:22 AM 

The curve I can see as being handy for some things, but when you get the bottom of a cut you have the curve to contend with. This is fine if you are only carving on the tip. Can the bar be used upside down and if so does the chain come off more easily?

Respond to this message   

Jack
(Login JackNAmy)
CCSG Board

Re: Hi Jack

March 12 2010, 10:45 AM 

Michael,

Yes, if you're making a blocking cut and are near the bottom you do have to raise the saw at the tip to achieve a straight cut where two blocking cuts meet. Of course if you're using any dime tip carving bar for blocking you have to adjust for the continuous differential curve of the carving bar. Normally also using a carving bar to block is counter indicated by the owners manual. The Sioux bar can take this heat well. The Sioux bar is not designed to be flipped over. Most bars require regular flipping to extend their life, the Sioux bar is designed to be long lived without this need. The straight top of the bar and bottom profile prevent this flipping and the straight edge of the top is what I often use when I make a cut like that. It's actually straighter than even a standard bar and comes in handy when I need to maintain a consistent line when cutting something like a profile cut.

Respond to this message   

Butch Elrod
(Login WoodHacker)

Questions...

March 12 2010, 11:13 AM 

>The Sioux bar is not designed to be flipped over.< <br> Does this mean it cannot be used 'flipped over'?

How many drive links will I need to use my very own, custom engraved, Sioux Bar on my ms200?

Respond to this message   

Jack
(Login JackNAmy)
CCSG Board

Re: Questions

March 12 2010, 8:29 PM 

It's not designed to be flipped over, but I'm going to try it out tomorrow. 65 Drive Links for the MS200.

Respond to this message   
mw
(no login)

running the bar up side down ...

March 24 2010, 6:24 AM 

will case a lot of stress on the chain, and will cause overly excessive overheating. I have a couple that years ago ( because of wear, and tear) , I had no other choice but to shape them with a curve like the Warrior bar. THe curve on the under side helps round out the chain travell, disipating heat greatly in stressfull situations. Probably a manufactured bar such as the warrior bar would last a long time because of this. The bars I cut like that have little, to no hardening left on them, and the underside curve helps them to last longer. Looks like it's definitely worth the money to me. For straight cuts, I'd have another saw, set up with a standrd carving bar though. THe curved bar doesn't cut straight well. Kinda like a hoop saw, versus a standard bar and chain, great for removing lots of material quickly, but not good for every thing...

Respond to this message   

Jack
(Login JackNAmy)
CCSG Board

Re: running the bar up side down ...

April 8 2010, 12:11 PM 

The Sioux Bar carves straight lines just fine.

Respond to this message   
Michelle Scoggins
(no login)

Re: running the bar up side down ...

April 16 2010, 7:59 AM 

Dayton seems to like the bar very much, he uses it all the time. He is very hard on tools and it seems to be holding up very well.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SculptureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement