<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Birth Control for high FSH and IVF? (x-post & dd ment)

March 12 2008 at 2:33 PM
TracyT  (no login)

Hope it is OK that I post here as well. Could use advice on whether to include birth control pills as part of my protocol or not?

I am starting my 2nd (& final) IVF attempt in May and wondering if people have had better luck not being on birth control if you have high FSH?

My doctor tells me the pill will not over supress me if I am on it 2 - 4 weeks but I am paranoid because this is our final attempt. I have never responded well to meds and the last IVF was converted to IUI and I was on birth control. He is putting me on a antagonist cycle for May IVF.

Age 37(turn 38 in 2 months)
FSH- btw 11 -17
TTC #2 for 18 months (have dd)
5 failed IUIs
1 IVF canceled, changed to IUI(bfn)
Accupuncture, herbs

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
emmychris
(Login emmychris)

I oversuppress

March 12 2008, 3:22 PM 

Everyone is different but I do oversuppress on bcp. We now use estrace or vivelle dot + progesterone to bring on AF - also, I don't start stimming until my estrogen has risen above 20 on its' own. All of these things keep me from oversuppression. Like I said, everyone is different. How have you fared on the bcp before this? Hopefully they will be able to tell with your antral count how it is looking so that you don't start stimming if it does over suppress you and then you can just wait another month and try it without bcp. My FSH fluctuates - but it was 18.9 with ttc#1. It is currently in the 20s but I am coming off of nursing and am on estrogen so that is not a very good reading. . . point being, it is high and I am 33 y/o.

Good luck whatever you and your RE decide!!

Respond to this message   
TracyT
(no login)

Emmychris, how do you know if

March 13 2008, 12:10 PM 

you are over suppressing from bcp? My last cycle, I was on bcp but the RE never talked about oversuppression. My ovaries didn't respond and the IVF was convereted to IUI - my RE said it was because of my hish FSH.

I have now switched REs, but this new one is telling me that 2 weeks of BCP won't oversuppress me, but I don't understand how you know if you are oversuppressed!

Thanks for your help and best of luck to you.

Respond to this message   
emmychris
(no login)

I wish I remembered better

March 13 2008, 3:48 PM 

I wish I could remember more specifically if I had any antral follicles on day 2 or if it was that I just didn't respond when we started stimming and my ovaries shut down/didn't produce follicles past the antral stage. I just can't remember at what point it became clear that I was oversuppressed. . . you should ask your RE how he would know and at what stage. . . I DO think that 2 weeks on bcp can oversuppress a sensitive person absolutely (that's all I did I believe). Does your RE work with high FSH patients regularly?? In any case, I hope that you do great on them - many people do just fine. I'm just not one of them. G/l and keep us posted. I'm sorry I am loosing my memory on this one!! Hopefully someone else will jump in.

Respond to this message   
TracyT
(no login)

Thanks Emmychris....

March 13 2008, 6:33 PM 

I really appreciate your comments. It is a good idea to ask my doctor at what point he will know if I am oversuppressed or not. He has worked with High FSH patients but is pretty strong on that I need to do bcp, which is frustating me. Thanks again and best of luck.

Respond to this message   
g.roll (recent grad)
(no login)

I totally oversuppressed on BC and i only took it for about

March 15 2008, 9:11 PM 

2-3 weeks... my follies stalled.. they next cycle we nixed BC, and followed the same protocol sans BC... my follies grew fine

Good luck to you!!!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

g.roll, at what point in the cycle..

March 17 2008, 6:49 PM 

did you know you oversuppressed? Did you go all the way through the cycle? And did your doctor agree you oversuppressed?

Thanks for any more info. This is my last cycle and I am scared I will go through the whole cycle and oversuppress and then don't have any money to try another cycle!!!!

Respond to this message   
tracyt
(no login)

g.roll, that last message...

March 17 2008, 6:59 PM 

was from me, the original poster of the bcp question. I forgot to put my name!

Respond to this message   
g.roll
(no login)

sorry, i hardly check this board- i can't recall exactly but it was

March 18 2008, 8:35 AM 

5-6 days after i started the meds - i think most doctors schedule sonos 4-6 days after meds... that is the sono that he saw they were stalled. my lining was crappy (prob due to low estrogen from being suppressed). I told the dr. that i did not like the bc pills, that I knew my body was not responding well... he agreed and said ok, "next time same protocol no birth control"....

Respond to this message   
tracyt
(no login)

Thanks so much g.roll....

March 18 2008, 8:37 PM 

I really appreciate the information.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement