Return to Index  

FAQ confusion about the Breguet alarm movements, due to widespread net misinformation

May 24 2003 at 6:00 PM

ThomasM  (Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

Response to What movement is in the Breguet alarm watches? (Type XX, Classique, Reveil du Tsar)

I regularly get emails Breguet collectors very similar to the following; even discussions on our main Breguet discussion forum were regularly confused and inconsistent. Following provided for reference only -

Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 13:52:22 -0700 (PDT)

hi thomas,

i have been doing some research on the breguet type xx alarm/montre agenda and have read your posts on thepurists.com regarding the watch. i have recnetly stumpled across the following information which seems to suggest that the type xx alarm does have a lemania sl980 movement and not as 5008 (if cal 579 signifies lemania sl980).

(links omitted due to commercial nature of the sites linked)

The Theorein alarm has the exact same crown layout as the type xx alarm and the same time setting disc, with the exception of it having both the hour and minute discs. also the basel 2000 information seems to suggest that the type xx alarm houses a cal 579 movement?

i would really appreciate your kindness in trying to give us the ultimate answer to this interesting question. btw, i will go get mine tomorrow regardless of the movement's make as the rarity and mystery itself is well worth it...

cheers/

==========

Dear

If you look carefully at the dial of the Thorein, it has two indicators for the alarm setting - the inner line, and the outer dot, both inside the hour chapter ring with the arabics and bar markers. This would indicate the Lemania SL 980 caliber (originally used in the Omega Memomatic in the early 1970s.)

The Breguet XX alarm does not have this two part alarm dial indication. It has also been verified with Breguet directly that production XX alarms housed the AS movement. If you look at the Classique alarm, will see the two part alarm indicator dial that indicates the Lemania SL movement.

Previously mentioned on the main Breguet discussion board is that I recall seeing, but can no longer find the exact reference number or documentation, of a limited edition XX that also shows the minute and hour alarm disks as discussed above, which would indicate that it used the Lemania SL calibre. If you do find (or better, end up owning!) a Type XX with the hour and minute alarm disks, PLEASE DO share pictures with us!

There is alot of misinformation on the net, and this isn't helped by the inconsistent and sometimes erroneous information given by company employees who should know better.

And of course, having been collecting watches for well over twenty years, I never say never; that is, even with information based on what I have seen with my own eyes, I never close my mind off to the possibility that a ref line may have changed specs or calibres during its production life, or that there were two models, sub-variants of the main reference.

If you find something that is different than what I have written above, please let me know and I will amend the information on (this) Breguet reference page. It would not invalidate what I have written (which is confirmed) but rather further expands it.

Regards,

TM

This message has been edited by thepurist178 on May 24, 2003 6:09 PM

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page