<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Event Report: Jaquet Droz - Official Opening of the KL Boutique

November 29 2006 at 10:08 PM

KokChoon  (Login taykokchoon)
AP Discussion Group

When I heard that Jaquet Droz was opening a new Boutique in Starhill Plaza of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, I immediately volunteered to go up with the JD team in Singapore to attend the event.

So when the official opening date was finally fixed at 23rd November 2006, I made sure that I would not miss this special event. On 22rd November 2006, Genii Koh (JD Manager for Singapore and Malaysia), Kelvin Lim (GO VP in SEA), Joseph Koh and myself flew to KL early in the morning.....

The full report can be read in my personal web-page: http://taykokchoon.homestead.com/061123_JD_KL.html. However, for the ease of reading, I have separated the report into 6 parts and presented as sub-threads to this one .....

Cheers
KokChoon
from Singapore
30th November 2006

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

KokChoon
(Login taykokchoon)
AP Discussion Group

Part I : Preparation

November 29 2006, 11:03 PM 

The hardworking Genii Koh plunged into actions immediately upon arriving in Kuala Lumpur. As our rooms were not ready at the Marriot Hotel, which is next to the Starhill Plaza (where the new Boutique is located), Genii rushed immediately to a meeting with the contractors and the local orgainzer ....

The preparation works ran through the night ....

It's 2:00am in the morning and workers were busy putting up the black curtains to cover the Boutique for the Unveiling Ceremoy for the evening event.

I visited the event venue again at around 5:00pm in the afternoon, 2 hours before the actual event and the preparation works are on its final stage ....

Dancers were busy rehearsing the dance moves before the big event ....

Staffs from the catering company seen cleaning the wine glasses here ....

Emcee for the night, the beautiful Sue Tan going through the programmes with the charming Manuel Emch, CEO of Jaquet Droz ....

Something special, a violinist rehearsing together with the saxophonist and I understand that they would be doing a duet later in the evening ....

The gorgeous Genii Koh, JD Manager of Singapore and Malaysia, giving some last minutes instructions to the staffs to make sure all things are taken care of and that the programmes are properly coordinated.

(end of Part I)

Respond to this message   

KokChoon
(Login taykokchoon)
AP Discussion Group

Part II : The Venue

November 29 2006, 11:03 PM 

The Opening Ceremony was arranged to be held at the hallway outside the Boutique. As most of the shops are managed by Swiss Union Malaysia, also partner of the JD Boutique, JD thus was allowed to use the hallway and even block out one side of the entrance of other few boutiques and shops.

Below are some of the display found along the hallway ....

(end of Part II)

Respond to this message   

KokChoon
(Login taykokchoon)
AP Discussion Group

Part III : Arrival of Guests

November 29 2006, 11:08 PM 

The event started at 7:00pm and by 7:30pm, more than 80% of the guests were already chatting with someone or viewing the watches on display ....

Well, it is not surprise that Joseph Koh (perhaps the biggest fan of JD in Singapore) is one of the early birds to be there ....

Our old friend, Jaw, who has recently been appointewd as the Chief Editor of Le Club by Jaeger LaCoultre, was greeted by Manuel Emch here ....

The revolutionary Wei Koh, greeted by Manuel Emch here ....

Natalia Tan, from The HourGlass Singapore, with Larry Wee, a famous journalist with Singapore's Business Times.

From right, Wei Koh, Tan Puey Hiang, Rachelle Lee and Manuel Emch.

From right, David Ponzo, Swatch Group Country Manager, Singapore, Dato Francis Sew of Swiss Union Malaysia, and Manuel Emch.

Jacky and Joey from the Purists group in Malaysia.

Bernard Yong, Deputy Country Manager of Swatch Group Malaysia, with Gloria Ting, Miss Malaysia/World 2004.

Malaysian celebrities Jamie and Hannah Tan.

More guests ....

(end of Part III)

Respond to this message   

KokChoon
(Login taykokchoon)
AP Discussion Group

Part IV : The Opening Ceremony

November 29 2006, 11:09 PM 

The guest-of-honour for the evening program was H.E. Dr. Urs. Stemmler, Swiss Ambassador to Malaysia ....

From left: Bernard Yong, Deputy Country Manager of Swatch Group Malaysia, Manuel Emch, CEO of Jaquet Droz, H.E. Dr. Urs. Stemmler, Swiss Ambassador, and Dato Francis Sew, Managing Director of Swiss Union.

By around 9:00pm, all guests have arrived and the VIPs were sitted, the Opening Cereamony was about to officially start. On the right is David Ponzo, Country Manager of Swatch Group, Singapore.

Emcee for the night is the beautiful and gracious Sue Tan ....

Dato Francis Sew, Managing Director of Swiss Union, was first to make a speech, thanking Jaquet Droz for their partnership in this new venture of the stand alone Boutique ....

Guests listening to the speeches ....

Manuel Emch took stage next to thank all who have made it possible for Jaquet Droz to open its third Boutique in the world after Geneve and Tokyo ....

H.E. Dr. Urs. Stemmler, Swiss Ambassador, credited SMEs like Jaquet Droz for their creativities and entrepreneurships to expand their businesses overseas and thus helping the Economy of Switzerland eventually ....

More people gathered forward to view the video presentation of the history of Jaquet Droz. A very well executed presentation I must say

After the Video presentation, the VIPs were ushered to the front of the Boutique, where it was covered with black curtains .... H.E. Dr. Urs. Stemmler pulling down the first curtain ...

Manuel Emch invited H.E. Dr. Urs. Stemmler into the Boutique after all curtains were pulled down to reveal the Boutique. Here, Manuel was explaining some of the varations in configuration of a watch to H.E..

Guests were also invited to check out the Boutique. Kimberly is seen here trying out the Grande Second, looks really nice on her wrist isn't it

Before H.E. Dr. Urs. Stemmler took his leave, Manuel Emch presented a token of appreciation to H.E. for gracing the event amidst his tight business scehdule.

(end of Part IV)

Respond to this message   

KokChoon
(Login taykokchoon)
AP Discussion Group

Part V : The Performance

November 29 2006, 11:09 PM 

Its now time for the six young dancers to take centre stage. Each wearing black tights from top to bottom with face painted silver, and a Jaquet Droz watch on each wrist ....

The dance moves were choreographed in such a way that they would frequently "freezed" in position for a few seconds so that guests can see what watch they were wearing ....

The 6 dancers were divided into 2 groups of 3 each and performing from both end of the long and narrow "stage" ...

It was a different exposure for these young dancers and they certainly would benifit from it for their future performances.

The beautiful Jaquet Droz watches can be admired from any angle ....

A round of applause for these 6 dancers again .....

Next to perform was the violinist. I did not asked but believe she is a professional as she played the violin so well and pleasing to the ears.

I could not get a chance to photograph both the violinist and saxophonist playing the duet as I was distracted by some collectors and started to chat with them and before I realized it, the duet was over

(end of Part V)

Respond to this message   

KokChoon
(Login taykokchoon)
AP Discussion Group

Part VI : The Watches (SPECIAL)

November 29 2006, 11:11 PM 

How can I report a watch event without showing any watches, right? However, I am not touching on the Jaquet Droz watches this time as I have reported some interesting pieces before in thePuristS.com ( http://www.network54.com/Forum/250820/message/1159639281/Some+very+special+pieces+as+reported+by+Joe+earlier+... )and my personal web-site ( http://www.pbase.com/taykokchoon/jaquet_droz ).

What I intend to cover this time are these rare pieces that might be the last time I can handle it personally ....

Look at this beauttiful pocket watch, with what looks like paillonee on the back case surrounded by small pearls and red rubies. Enamel white dial with gold hands ....

These series of 3 pictures are from the same oval shaped pocket watch. Look at the enamel painting with guilloched patterns on the case back, simply marvellous isn't it. White enamel dial with separate hour and minute sub-dial from the second sub-dial. The picture on top shows the nicely decorated pocket watch movement typical of the early 19th century.

The proof of the everlasting brightness of enamel painting can be seen on the back case of this pocket watch, rounded with white pearls. You should see the actual watch to really admire the beauty of this artistic work. White enamel dial with same type of gold hands as the first pocket watch featured above. Bezel of the front hunter case lined with small pearls.

What can be more excited for one who own the JD Grande Second to see the original Grande Second pocket watch? Here it is! Check out also the key winding movement of the 19th century.

(end of Part VI)

Respond to this message   

KokChoon
(Login taykokchoon)
AP Discussion Group

Last but not least .....

November 29 2006, 11:11 PM 

That's all folks!

But before signing off, here's a photo of how the Boutique actually looks like ....

Okay, there's another picture that I must post here. Its taken by Joseph Koh and standing between the two beauties (Genii and Sue) is none other than yours truly

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jaquet Droz for this rare opportunity for me to cover this event and I wish this Boutique all the best!

Cheers
KokChoon
from Singapore
30th November 2006

Respond to this message   
Jacky
(Login EuJax)
PP Discussion Group

Wow wow....very nice photos....

November 30 2006, 2:16 AM 

You and Kelvin never cease to amaze me with your high quality photos! Bravo! Thanks for the extensive report and again, great to have catch up with you and Jokoh! Looking forward to meet you guys again soon!

Regards
Jacky

Respond to this message   
K T
(Login lanatir)
AP Discussion Group

Great stuff KC

November 30 2006, 4:54 AM 

I know it must have taken u some late nights to get these photos up

Regards
Kelvin
http://www.pbase.com/kelvinphoto

Respond to this message   

michael.ting
(Login mkt32)
Admin

Another excellent photojournal KokChoon!

November 30 2006, 7:07 PM 

Thank you for the spectacular photos. Looks like it was a long day but we love the fact that you captured every aspect of the event starting from the setup.

I wish the new KL boutique the best of luck!

Cheers, Mike

Respond to this message   
Honis
(Login HONIS)
AP Discussion Group

Re: Last but not least .....

December 1 2006, 11:49 AM 

What a great report K C keep up,i should have go there if i know by chance.

Honis

Respond to this message   

adrianNJ
(Login adrianNJ)
AP Discussion Group

thank you so much!!!

November 30 2006, 3:37 PM 

beautiful pictures!...as always...

cheers,
adrian

"How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven"

Robert Heinlein

Respond to this message   

HarryTan
(Login horolographer)

I should have been there with you but alas...

November 30 2006, 11:24 PM 

it was not so but your photos make up for the disappointment of not being there myself. GREAT photos!

Cheers!

HarryTan
Horolographer
Singapore

http://watchinghorology.com - Horology: The Engineering that tracks the passage of time
http://htfotos.com - Photography: The Art of capturing moments in time

Respond to this message   

Valentin Blank
(Login vblank)
AP Discussion Group

Wow, it must have taken you days to process all these shots. Thank you for

December 1 2006, 12:38 PM 

sharing them with us! Going through all your images it's almost like having been there.

Cheers, Valentin

Respond to this message   

bernardcheong
(Login bernardcheong)
AP Discussion Group

GREAT. The attendance of many new faces.

December 1 2006, 4:34 PM 

JD is a good brand and really a very good ambassador for fine watch craft.

The perpetual calendar looks better each day!

Thanks for a great post KC.

Bernard

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(Login Bluekutus)

Thanks KC for the writeup and many wonderful photos. nt

December 1 2006, 5:48 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page