Return to Index  

Ancient pocket watches and automatons, shown at the JD dinner (by bernardcheong)

November 9 2003 at 12:42 PM

PeterCDE  (Login pc01)

Response to Antiquarian

from a forum post by bernardcheong:

The display of the early watches and automaton of Jacquet Droz was something, especially the pneumatic operation of the egg like device which had singing birds, these got their voices and songs thru belows operated inside the device, the bellows were made of a natural bladder!

The birds inside the device had natural feathers and there was even a bleating goat with fur, all animals were just about a thumb's size!

These pocket watches and the automaton cost a cool couple of million dollars, I had the shock of my life when I accidentally bumped into the stand!

This is the most fantastic piece of machinery! There are rotating discs inside which can be "programmed " to alter the bird's songs! The umbrella on the top opens to reveal a couple of birds and a goat. Sounds boring? NOT...it is a fantastic show of precision work...from over a hundred years ago!

Two guests examing the truly magnificent automaton by Jacquet Droz! (for reference of the pieceĀ“s size)

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page