Return to Index  

Passing thought

August 31 2005 at 3:42 PM
Tom  (Select Login Flt-tech)

Response to A new wave of thought

The thrust line of the ship is important for economy reasons. On the NSWC website they have a study done on Perry class frigates where a wedge is placed under the stern to help lift it and a 3% savings in fuel use is realized, with an investment of about $20k.

After I posted the answer last night I got to thinking(DANGERIOUS!)that maybe the reason for the variable pitch screws on the Post war "T's" may have been done to add a lifting force to the stern when backing off the beach. The rotation of the screws doesn't change but the bite does, and from what I have read about retracting, every little thing helps.

In reading about the German E-Boats(they had displacement hulls) they had a wedge under the stern for lift. Also if memory serves me. The picture posted some time last year here of an E-Boat, is one of the boats that particpated in the Slapton Sands Incident.

Flt-tech

Respond to this message   
Responses

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.