Return to Index  

Soundings

January 20 2006 at 10:36 PM
Bob528  (Login LST528)
Forum Member

Response to The 1944 BlueJacket Manual

My most recent copy of BJM is 1998 and it only refers to fathometer readings. And my 1950 edition makes only brief mention of a lead line. However, a 1956 copy of the SEAMAN Navy Training Course goes into great detail on pages 123-126. My 1944 copy of BJM is hiding from me, so I don't know what you may have already read on the subject. However, WW2 LSTs did not have the capability to rig out the platforms called chains, so a boatwains mate would use a lead line to check depths from the bow ramp, during beaching. In 1954, the LSD I was on always used the lead line when entering port. The
lead line has ten markings which indicate depths from two fathoms to 25. The Deep 6 is half way between Mark 5 and Mark 7. So if you ever want to "deep six" something, make sure you have 36 feet of water to do it in. Bob528

Respond to this message   

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.