Return to Index  

During the early years Susie..........

June 1 2007 at 12:07 AM
Chappie46  (Login Chappie46)
Forum Member

Response to And I am enlisted...

following contact with our Royal Navy veterans I managed to track down some 110 men who were sought by their former shipmates.....thus they were reunited.
Most were individuals but in two instances I managed to reunite two half crews of craft that were assigned on the morning of D-Day.
The craft in question being HMLCT(4)748 assigned to Sword beach on the morning of June 6th....the other, being HMLCT(5) 2014 of the 103rd LCT(A)(HE) Flotilla assigned to Juno beach in support of the 8th Infantry Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Division. The LCT(A) 2014 in company with her sister craft of the 103rd delivering the close support Centaur and Sherman tanks manned by the men of the Royal Marine Armoured Support Group. The tanks able to fire afloat on the approach mounted on a custom built firing platform mounted to the fore of the tank deck...their raised height allowing the tanks to fire over the bows as the LCT made their approach.
At this point in time reunions are becoming more difficult to achieve for obvious reasons...such is the pass of time.

Tony Chapman
Official Archivist/Historian
LST and Landing Craft Association (Royal Navy)

Respond to this message   
Responses

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.