"While the LCT - the basic vehicle-carrying landing craft of World War II - was being perfected, the British also began experimenting with a much larger ocean-going ship capable of discharging vehicles directly across the beach. As an interim measure, three medium-sized tankers were selected for conversion because of their shallow draft, built to pass over the restrictive bars of Lake Maracaibo, Venezuela. Built by Furness Shipbuilding Company Ltd., Haverton Hill-on-Tees in 1937, the Bachaquero (LST F.110) and Misoa LST F.117) were sister ships. They were 379.4 feet in length and 64.2 feet breadth, with a displacement of 4,193 tons. Built in 1938 by Furness Shipbuilding, the slower Tasajera [not Tusajera] (LST F.125) was slightly smaller, 365 feet in length and 60 feet breadth, with a displacement of 3,952 tons.
Bachaquero and Misoa were requisitioned by December 1940 and sent to Belfast for conversion, while Tasajera was requisitioned in late February 1941. They were converted to prototypes of the LST (Landing Ship, Tank) by cutting off the bows, installing bow ramps, and scooping out the insides to accommodate vehicles. The first two ships emerged from their conversion in August 1941, and the third by December 1941. After conversion the three ex-Maracaibo tankers were capable of carrying two LCMs (Mark 1). Alternatively, vehicle carrying capacity was either 22 X 25-ton or 18 X 30-ton tanks or 33 X 3-ton vehicles. There was also accommodation for 210 troops. Trials with Bachaquero and Misoa soon demonstrated that this type of landing ship would ran into some difficulties if the beach angle was not suffifiently steep. "