Return to Index  

long lost photo

July 14 2007 at 11:46 PM

(Login robwade87)
Forum Member

My quest for Grandpa's Navy service is paying off in a huge way. Last month, I recieved an eamil from a gentleman asking for a copy of the cruisebook of LST 946. I told him that it was available on NavSource, and asked him what his interest in LST 946 was. Imagine my suprise when he told me that he was a MoMM2c aboard her, from the day she left the ship yard in Mass (Sep 44), until she was decomissioned (summer 46). He was immediately bombarded with my 2 million questions. I've had the privlidge to speak to him over the phone, the memory gets a little fuzzy when you don't talk about things for 60+years, but he's great about emailing me when something does ring a bell. He's answering a lot of my questions about the ship and what they did during the invasion of Okinawa.

A couple days ago, I recieve an email from a man who wants a copy of the cruise book as well. Turns out that his grandfather was a LT(jg) aboard the ship as well. Anyway, he said that he had some of his grandfather's photos, and would be more than happy to share. Imagine my suprise when I got this in my email 2 days ago. It was taken at Bethelham-Hingham Shipyard, Boston, Mass 24 Sep 1944.

Hopefully my quest continues to pay off these priceless benifits (at least they are to me)

Rob

PS Tony Martelliano is doing well. He's in his assisted living facility, and really appriecates all the cards and letters that he has recieved. I dropped off all of his LST994 photos to the museum on the 6th of July. He's thrilled that his Naval service will be preserved to years to come

This message has been edited by robwade87 on Jul 14, 2007 11:47 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.