Panama CanalDecember 28 2008 at 10:27 PM
SeaBat (Login SeaBat)
When watching a program on the History channel today, the program was discussing the building of the Panama Canal; it's importance for general shipping and the absolutely critical need to get Navy ships from the Atlantic to the Pacific (or vice versa) more quickly than going down around the tip of South America. The program went on to give an overview of the politics of the day and the resistance to action by Columbia, the declaration of the Country of Panama.. and the unrest that took place to do so. And all of this back in President Roosevelt's time. I have to wonder if he saw how important it would be 30 or 40 years after his Presidency.
Have any of you been through the canal?
|This message has been edited by SeaBat on Dec 28, 2008 10:28 PM|
- Never been there - flt-tech on Dec 29, 2008, 1:29 PM
- Forgot - Ken Frank on Dec 29, 2008, 3:00 PM
- Panama Canal - Jim Mackie 9LST 827) on Dec 29, 2008, 3:33 PM
- Forgot - Capt. on Dec 29, 2008, 7:33 PM
- Yes - Bob Pointer on Dec 31, 2008, 1:58 PM
- Re: Yes - SeaBat on Jan 1, 2009, 6:29 PM
- For sure - Bob Pointer on Jan 2, 2009, 5:20 PM