Return to Index  

Yes, I do remember . . .

March 8 2009 at 6:59 PM

MissPatty  (Login PatInSpace)
Forum Member

Response to With all of the news

Ration books, black-outs and searchlights scanning the skies, flattening and saving "tin cans", packing cartons of used clothing for relief efforts for children in Belgium, packing boxes with letters & baked goods (usually my grandmother's favorite molasses cookies and fruit cakes "spiked" with bourbon) to be sent to uncles fighting with the Army in Europe and Marines in the Pacific, gardens, picking LOTS of berries (those things are SO SMALL), helping with canning (and more canning), listening to the news on the radio, waiting for the mailman to bring letters (he would always blow his horn if he had any!), sitting at a neighbor's table and looking at a folded flag and framed photo of a handsome, smiling pilot while my parents consoled his family who had previously received that dreaded telegram, crying after my Dad left for Camp Lejeune and I couldn't find him the next day, seeing the huge black headlines when FDR died . . but . . . mostly wondering what it was all about, as it all seemed so frightening and sad to a small child . . .

Here's a memory I treasure and goes with me wherever I go . . . my Godfather "Uncle Joe" carried this small photo case with him all through Europe, including the Battle of the Bulge. . . his dog "Spike" and holding me - taken the day before he left to head overseas. He also had a small studio photo taken with my aunt . . . that was another thing most did as a memory because they didn't know what the future held & could only hope and dream they would return to their loved ones waiting back home.

I was very fortunate because all of mine did . . .which is the reason why you WW II guys out there are all so special to me. The purpose you were fighting for was to keep us safe and free and we can never thank you enough.

LST-325 is a sacred memory to all of you and nothing can ever diminish that feeling!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.