Return to Index  

Amazing How Quickly The Ship Gets In Your Blood

October 1 2009 at 3:23 PM
Also Bored  (Login Askerist)
Forum Member

Hey Bob, Here's something for you to read:

I recently found another of my fathers shipmates, a Snipe from the Black Gang who sent me a box of letters and such that my father had sent to him over the years. I sure have been lucky finding these guys sixty plus years after WWII, especially guys that just happened to be friends of my father. In one of the letters I found a tid bit that you might appreciate.

Dont remember his name, but he was Chief Petty Officer in charge of the Engine Room. (Your boss I presume) Anyways, every time Id see him getting his cup of coffee, hed pull out a little bottle and pour a spoonful out of it and put it in his coffee. After about a month, I asked him what he put in his coffee. He said it was diesel fuel! He said he tasted it so much in the engine room; coffee didnt taste right without it! Funny, I loved to smell the diesel fumes. Id stand at the railings just to get whiffs of it. When I got home, Id deliberately sit in back of a city bus to smell it, but it wasnt the same smell.

I know exactly what my dad meant as I too have stood by the rail enjoying the view and fumes the three times Ive been on the river with the 325. I love walking thru the tank deck, soaking in the sights, sounds and smells of the ship. It's almost Home away from Home! Other than as a visitor, my first full-time experience with the ship was this past April, during Work Week. Afterward, it took three washings to get the smell of the ship out of my clothes. Now I miss the pleasant odor of the ship.

Aside from the wonderful smells wafting from the galley, its the engine room for me! I love being below when the engines are running. Now I wouldnt have liked it too much in the South Pacific during the summer of 1945, but I sure enjoy the engine room and the ship every chance I get. Its amazing how quickly the ship gets in your blood and how addictive she is.

I understand firsthand how 325 servitude is a labor of love. I am proud to be a 325 Crew Member and admire each and EVERYONE of you who dedicate your time away from family to work and sail with the ship. I also enjoy your company, but its the ship that lures me. Ive got her in my blood and I have to have more. I look forward to serving with you again. Your friend and shipmate, Joey.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.