ME ???

December 24 2009 at 12:07 PM

Bob Pointer  (Login FTG2)
Forum Member

Response to You know Steve

Me? Back out of a challenge??
No way!
I was just being considerate.
What if I took on the job and finished it before the crew arrived for Spring work week?
There would be a lot of dissappointed crewmates with nothing to do.
Besides, we also must consider the needle guns.
The Marines were pretty hard on them this summer.
When they start a job they really work hard at it.
Like any fine tool, these needle guns need proper care.
They must be given a periodic rest period of a few months so that the molicules in the hardened steel can re-allign themselves back to the original state of maximum structural integrity. Resting them in cool weather speeds the process. We must be careful not to disturb them during this process. I read that on the Internet at www.thisisnobull.com under the section about proper tool care and maintenance.
Besides the compressor needs a rest too. It has been compressing all summer and needs time to uncompress itself.

Besides, I have found other ways to look busy so that someone will not put me to work doing actual physical labor. (Kind of like the Beetle Bailey of the Navy).
I went to the radio room and took one of those large radio receivers out of its rack. I turned it upside down so that all the little parts could be seen. There sure are a lot of them. I found one of Perry's volt meters. When a tour comes by I start touching some of the little parts with the meter. You should hear the ooos and ahhhhs from the people. I am sure they think deck apes are really smart.
Did I mention Do Not touch the red wire with your bare fingers?
It makes the Fourth of July fireworks go off in your head and you tend to dance around a bit.
You also may say things you normally would not if your fingers are still smoking.
I guess I should put them back together and find something more constructive to do but I don't remember where some of the little parts go. These radios are mostly for display purposes anyway aren't they Perry?

Respond to this message   
Responses

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.