Return to Index  

Ship Tracker Info

August 23 2010 at 3:32 PM
Tim  (Login 41dodge)
Forum Member

Hi All.

I wanted to post some info on the ship tracker. Here's what I think I know. Haha.

The ship tracker is NOT 100% accurate. It is a system used by the Amateur Radio or HAM operators to track each other for different reasons. It is NOT like a GPS unit for your car. Perry has provided the system used on the LST 325 for the voyage to and from Pittsburgh. There will be some "dead zones" just like a cell phone. Perry's equipment is used to relay packets that will be picked up by a system that is connected to the internet and then relayed to the website that you are seeing. It only sends out packets at certain times. Not all the time. It is NOT an automated system. You will have to refresh your browser often to see the changes.

A note about the Hybrid Google Map. This map is satellite images taken over several years. It is NOT real time events. This Hybrid map is used for the purpose of landmarks to see where the ship is located.

If you notice the ship hasn't moved for awhile don't be alarmed. This is normal. Refresh your browser and/or try again a little later.

Don't forget to thank Perry for his many years of Ham Radio operation for this technology.

If you have any questions please post and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

Thanks and enjoy the ship tracker.

Tim

Respond to this message   
Responses

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.