Return to Index  

USS Tioga County LST 1158

September 24 2016 at 9:42 AM
Forrest Woodward  (Login woodwardf)

I have a short but personal connection to the LST, as a 14 year old Naval Sea Cadet back in 1968 I spent two weeks underway on board the USS Tioga County LST 1158 in WESTPAC maneuvers out of San Diego. There were about four or five of us who reported on board with orders in hand. We were fully integrated into the crew and assigned to a deck watch. Three watch rotation with no slack toward us as for our status or age. Great experience; we did everything the crew and our assigned watch did. Swab the decks and there was a massive amount of weather deck to be swabbed. I was assigned to a gun mount for general quarters and hauled ammo with the rest. Stood watch, got sea sick, which every new guy does on board the LST, which bobs around in the ocean like a cork. One Hell of an experience that left me with a personal link to the LST that today's sailors can never know.

Respond to this message   

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.