Return to Index  

Rusting Sherman Tanks

February 21 2017 at 6:12 PM
James Goodall  (Login Goody611)
Forum Member

Response to all gone?

21 FEB 17 / 1632 hrs
Befor I became a LST-325 member and crewman in 2009. Just after retirement from the Army 1999, I became a volunteer with Patton museum at Fort Knox. Along with other volunteers we restored museum vehicles at the museum motor pool. We would operate them for parades and special events at Fort Knox. I drove many a WW II Sherman tank and WW II German tanks in these events. We had 5 operational Sherman tanks in the museum collection. 2014 the Army Armor School moved to Fort Benning GA from Fort Knox, so the Patton museum move it vehicle collection their to. At this point the Fort Knox Patton museum was 75% empty. On a trip to the USS Alabama in Mobile Al, to install quad 40mm AA simulated fire system on top of their stern 16" mount. I stopped off at Fort Benning to check on the status of museum vehicle collection moved their from Patton museum. Taking to Len Dryer, museum director, he only had him self and E-7 NCO to run the museum, no volunteers.The vehicle collection is 70% out side rusting. I counted 15 WW II Sherman tanks in cold storage rusting. Do to budgets and staff cuts, no money to build a museum for this collection. Their are a good many operational WW II Sherman tanks in private collection and private museum all over the country. Be thankful the LST-325 is in the private sector with a loyal group to keep her operational. Most likely if the Government had her, she would be rusting at some port tied up and not operational at all. So be proud of what you have done to keep the LST-325 operational for this generation and future generation to see and enjoy the history. SARGE

Respond to this message   

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.