Return to Index  

School Kids and History

December 7 2017 at 3:42 PM
SARGE  (Login Goody611)
Forum Member

Response to a day that will live in infamy

7 DEC 17 / 1411 Hrs
Early this morning I was a tour guide for about 15 3rd grade school students and their teacher on board the LST-325. As it was very cold with heavy wind off the Ohio River. I took them down to port steps side next to the bow ramp control room and gave them pre-tour briefing. I ask them if they knew what day it was, they all said Pear Harbor day day, so their teacher are doing a great job. After tour touring the cold stern, gun deck, the wheel house, i had them warm up in the Ward Room. Where I told them some funny war stories and held a Q and A with them. They were a great group, a good bunch of kids.They departed the LST with a better understanding of the WW II generation on the home front and the battlefield. Know from time to time we run into school kids who don't seem to know anything about our American history. Well when those kids take a tour of the LST-325 and depart, they got a good dose of history that they don't get in their school. Shipmates, this is the most important mission of the LST to bring history alive to to this generation of kids. Shipmates, you can be proud off the LST and its mission as with out you it won't happen. Take care SARGE

Respond to this message   
Responses

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.