Return to Index  

i remembered, although...

January 10 2018 at 8:15 PM

SeaBat  (Login SeaBat)
Forum Member

I hadn't posted yet. I was sort of wondering if anyone would remember. I know it's not intentional, but this is a day to CELEBRATE! The Grey Lady is back home where she belongs and has been for 17 years now!

LST 325 has become a wonderful floating museum to so many people!!! All Amphibious Sailors, especially those who sailed LST's, all of the shipyard workers who welded, riveted, cleaned. tested, painted, and poured their sweat into these ships and to Evansville itself - the town that welcomed so many Sailors and built so many ships MUST be remembered. That old adage that we might be speaking German or Japanese if they all hadn't 'just done their jobs' is so true.

Do me a favor, please? Take a few moments of time. Remember how the Gold Cerew must have felt, bringing this ship home after years of searching for an LST and months of cleaning and very basic repairs. Think about how little they had to work with - and they were in Europe on their own dime... they paid for their own airfare, food, supplies, parts, calls home, tools... there was no one funding them. Sure, there were groups of people that fed them but those times were rare. Think of them. Many of them have passed away but there are still some of those brave, industrious Sailors with us. Again and again I say WELL DONE!! BRAVO ZULU!!!

(Now go back and look at the Gold Crew photo. Look at the faces. Look at the names. Say a prayer for each one.)

Respond to this message   

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for their own comments.

Postings are timestamped in Zulu time (Greenwich Mean Time).

All contents of this website are Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc. All Rights Reserved.