bruceleelivesbanner.jpg

Return to Index  

Bruce talked about “The Warrior”

December 9 2015 at 7:56 AM
LJF  (Login LJF)

In Issue 248 (Oct-Nov’71) of “Four Seas Weekly,” Bruce told the reporter (after he returned to HK from the U.S. on 16 Oct 1971) about “The Warrior” TV series.

1) Reporter: “Are you going to stay in HK and make movies for GH?”
Bruce: “Have to wait until Nov. then the decision can be made. This time round, when I returned to the U.S. and shoot a pilot episode for “Longstreet,” I received quite an overwhelming response from the local audience and also got favorable mentions by the “New York Times.” Many newspapers interviewed me and they wrote the articles at great length.”

2) Reporter: “Oh, that’s great. Could you please tell us more?”
Bruce: “There are already a few Hollywood movie companies who wanted me to play in their TV series, particularly Paramount and Warner Brothers. The battle was ferocious and the outcome is, I signed a contract with Warner Brothers even though the remuneration that Paramount gave me is higher than Warner Brothers.”

3) Reporter: “Why so?”
Bruce: “It’s not just solely about money because there’s a script called “The Warrior” which I like it very much and will begin shooting in Nov. Paramount, on the other hand, would only give me the script next year. Being the center of “The Warrior” TV series, I loved the script very much. It’s very important in his life as in the foreign country, there’ve never been a Chinese leading actor/actress in a TV series or movie before, even in “The Green Hornet” and “Longstreet,” I’m only the second lead actor. That’s why I’m very concerned about “The Warrior” TV series.

4) Reporter: “What’s the script of ‘The Warrior’ like?”
Bruce: It’s a very creative, special and legendary story. The leading role in the story killed the Emperor’s uncle of the Ching dynasty, he escaped to the West and led a vagrant life. He rode a donkey and you could see a dragon and a tiger tattoos each on his left and right arms. The image of the lead character is very special. But, the script has not been approved yet...”

(Note: ‘The Warrior’ was later re-titled “Kung Fu” (1972–1975), played by white actor, David Carradine. Although Bruce created the concept for this series but it was ‘stolen’ by Warner Brothers. He also lost the role to David Carradine. Bruce then stayed in HK to make a few movies that smashed the box-office in most parts of Asia and one year later, Warner Brothers was back to ask him to be in the movie “Enter The Dragon.”)

Respond to this message   
Responses

• I love reading the snippets from interviews - Suresh on Dec 9, 2015, 9:04 AM
  •  
  • Re: Bruce talked about “The Warrior” - JKD54 on Dec 9, 2015, 11:33 AM
  •  
  • Shannon confirmed Bruce's " Warrior" concept & notes - jkdragon on Aug 31, 2016, 10:04 AM
  •  
  • Re: Bruce talked about “The Warrior” - KFMan on Apr 5, 2017, 4:29 PM
  •  
  • Joe Lewis Recalls Bruce Lee’s Own Ideas of Unmade TV Series & Other Film Ideas In 60s - KFMan on Apr 24, 2017, 4:31 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Asian CelebritiesCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
    nickclarkewdbanner.jpg