bruceleelivesbanner.jpg

MMA In Street Fighting

January 15 2016 at 4:28 AM
Old Samuel  (no login)

Response to Tommy Carruthers: “MMA is a sports, JKD is not!”

Tommy Carruthers is correct to a certain extent especially when he advises people to refrain from applying certain techniques in a street fight which is highly dangerous, like the leg lock on the ground and against multiple well-armed attackers.

I'm trained in MMA and Muai Thai for a many years and have always been confident fighting in the game but in my humble opinion, generally, although an MMA fighter brings real skills and valuable conditioning to a fight, some of that is negated by the fact that he trains for very specific circumstances that are not in place outside of the octagon or the ring:

1) He mostly trains to focus on one, and only one opponent. And his strategies and tactics are developed with one and only one opponent in mind.

2) He trains to compete with rules developed to enhance safety and competition. Thus he trains to face opponents who are prohibited from, and will generally refrain from, downward elbows; strikes to the spine, neck, back of the head, kidneys, throat, groin; small-joint manipulation; piledrivers and similar moves; headbutting; no kicks, knees, or stomps to a fighter on the ground, etc.

3) He trains with the idea that a referee will save him if the shit hits the fan. This means a fighter more willing to take risks in attacks and counters that he might not if he knows nobody will save him. But if he reflexively uses such moves in a real fight? That could spell trouble.

Do I think MMA fighters intellectually know this, and know how to adjust their games to compensate? In general, I'd say the majority do. But they don't train that way, and so that's not how they fight, reflexively.

Unless, someone trains regularly to fight multiple opponents his chances are better, but no matter how experienced you are this is a bad, bad situation. If one thing goes wrong -- you slip on a piece of garbage, you lose track of one guy for even a second -- then you are in trouble.

You must use footwork, mobility, range control, feints, and terrain to break up the attacking group and isolating a single target so that you can fight ONE person at a time. If you succeed, you will have 2-3 seconds to incapacitate or significantly injure that target before the others react to save him. Then the dance starts all over again.

It's exhausting. It's dangerous. But if you have a high enough skill/fitness level compared to your opponents and none of them has a gun, it can be done.

The gun thing is one (of several) major worries I have with this scenario. The more people involved, the more likely a gun is there, waiting to be pulled.

I expect such a fight would rapidly escalate, as well. If you took one guy out, even if there aren't any guns, the others would start looking for sticks and other weapons to even the odds. Therefore you should be doing that too! (cracking someone in the head with a broomhandle is a great way to take them out of the fight).

I have defeated 8 people at once (I did it three times in a row, actually, to the same group!) However, this was controlled sparring situation (in other words, there were RULES, which brings into question the validity of the defeat in terms of the real world), and I had a longer weapon than they did (reach is key: it lets you hit them when they cannot hit you).

Also, my fitness level and experience was FAR above theirs (I had been training 7 days a week for a year, with 15 years previous experience, and had been running half-marathons). Even with a slightly more seasoned/confident/aggressive set of enemies, I doubt I could have pulled it off.

Respond to this message   
Responses

• MMA Street Fighting - Davey on Jan 16, 2016, 2:18 AM
  •  
  • Re: MMA In Street Fighting - David on Jan 16, 2016, 10:09 AM
  •  
  • Re: MMA In Street Fighting - jkdragon on Jan 16, 2016, 12:58 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Asian CelebritiesCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
    nickclarkewdbanner.jpg