To KFManJanuary 8 2017 at 7:47 AM
|LJF (Login LJF)|
Response to Questions for LJF
Thanks for your comment. About your queries, I'm writing from I know.
1. Half true. Bruce's Mandarin was bad because of the difficulty in pronouncing Chinese words (4 keys in tones). He did speak a bit of broken Mandarin though. Eunice Lam said Bruce dropped out of the Mandarin class in the university a week after he attended. However, Bruce was excellent in his Cantonese, a Southern dialect of the Chinese since he was born in a Cantonese speaking family and his father was a Cantonese opera comedian. The first president of ROC, Dr Sun Yet-Sun almost wanted Cantonese to be the national language but did not get the full support of his people. Cantonese is also a kind of Chinese language which its words are written in Chinese as well. Bruce learnt Chinese words and his understanding of it actually was much better than many of the HK people. Most likely he was influenced by his father's Cantonese opera singing. Bruice wrote Chinese poems to Eunice Lam and Chinese letters to HK friends and Wong Shun-Leung. Also, his 2 JKD signs, "Using No Way As Way; Having No Limitation As Limitation" were actually written in Chinese first before translated into English. It has a profound meaning in it. If his Chinese was no good, how could he penned and used those profound words. Not forgetting he had written a Chinese "Fist Sutra" which contained very profound fighting strategies and skills of JKD. So, he had not much difficult reading and understanding the Chinese Gung Fu manuals he collected.
Of course, Bruce's English standard which he had improved over the years in the U.S. was definitely much better than his mother tongue, Chinese.
2. Yes, Bruce practised Internal styles which I had written in my previous articles. Tai Chi,Hsing-I, Ba Kua, Ngan Chi Kung etc. were some of the internal style he practised before (I'd write more on this topic next time). He used the Chi to strengthen the power in his kicks and punches too. 1-inch punch, Jing Mo iron Finger, Whip kick are some examples of his internal style skills. People who didn't understand fully about Bruce's skills did have the misconception of the skill Bruce trained in. Bruce trained hard but his death was not caused by misappropriate or extreme trainings.
3. Already clarified before. It was a rumor that Bruce fought a group of Japanese Karate Black Belts at the U.S. airport in the presence of James Coburn. Coburn had never say anything about that. Bruce also told Unicorn in his letter it was just a rumor, he was perfectly fine. Bruce, however, did spar and beat Karate black belts in the U.S. many times as he told Unicorn and his Wing Chun brothers.
Dragon’s footsteps on the world map - LJF on Jan 8, 2017, 7:59 AM
- Re: Dragon’s footsteps on the world map - KFMan on Jan 8, 2017, 4:15 PM
- No photos? Seeing is believing - Roy on Jan 9, 2017, 2:37 AM
- Since seeing is believing, I never see you, so do you exist?? NT - blackorwhite on Jan 9, 2017, 12:45 PM
- other country - ²lazemby on Jan 20, 2017, 10:40 PM
- Re: other country - Hiro on Jan 21, 2017, 2:12 AM
- London and Moscow - DREAN on Jan 26, 2017, 2:21 PM
- Re: London and Moscow - Hiro on Jan 26, 2017, 3:35 PM
- Mexico - lazemby on Mar 8, 2017, 10:02 PM
- Bruce in Mexico with Ed Parker @ Lima Lama Championships on 13 Sep 1968 - LJF on Mar 9, 2017, 10:10 AM
- Re: Bruce in Mexico with Ed Parker @ Lima Lama Championships on 13 Sep 1968 - jkdragon on Mar 10, 2017, 9:54 AM
- Message for LJF - Tony on Jan 28, 2017, 9:58 PM
- More information for LJF - Tony on Jan 28, 2017, 10:08 PM
- To TONY, about Bruce travelled to London - LJF on Feb 1, 2017, 7:20 AM
- Other countries Bruce traveled (updates) - LJF on Mar 9, 2017, 10:31 AM
- Bruce's last public performance in Bahamas (circa early 1970) - LJF on Apr 29, 2017, 7:43 AM
- Incredible : Korea in 1968 - lazemby on May 2, 2017, 6:21 PM
- Re: Incredible : Korea in 1968 - KFMan on May 2, 2017, 7:21 PM
- Re: Re: Incredible : Korea in 1968 - jkdragon on May 2, 2017, 7:32 PM
- Re: Re: Incredible : Korea in 1968 - Shaolinguy on May 2, 2017, 7:44 PM
- Re: Re: Incredible : Korea in 1968 - Ivan on May 3, 2017, 7:56 AM
- May be another lie ...or not - lazemby on May 3, 2017, 9:13 AM
- Words from the seller - lazemby on May 3, 2017, 5:10 PM
- Re: Words from the seller - Hiro on May 4, 2017, 4:06 AM
- For Lazemby (not South Korea) - JPB on May 6, 2017, 6:30 PM
- Re: For Lazemby (not South Korea) - Matt on May 7, 2017, 11:48 AM
- Merci jpb , i know that ... - lazemby on May 7, 2017, 5:59 PM
- Neither S.Korea or Dominican Republic, it's in Jhoon Rhee U.S. School - Samson on May 7, 2017, 6:10 PM
- Re: Neither S.Korea or Dominican Republic, it's in Jhoon Rhee U.S. School - jkdragon on May 7, 2017, 6:39 PM
- Re: Neither S.Korea or Dominican Republic, it's in Jhoon Rhee U.S. School - shaolinguy on May 8, 2017, 3:24 PM
- Any idea at which Jhoon Rhee's school was the photo taken? NT - JACKY on May 15, 2017, 3:16 AM
Very detailed reply, thanks LJF! - KFMan on Jan 8, 2017, 4:12 PM