Dragon’s footsteps on the world mapJanuary 8 2017 at 7:59 AM
|LJF (Login LJF)|
Response to To KFMan
KFMan, with regards to your query on the number of countries Bruce travelled before, the following is my reply.
Based on the info found in his letters, articles, interviews etc. Bruce had been to more than 10 countries on different occasions and purposes.
1) U.S.A. (including Hawaii) –
Bruce was born in SF. He returned to the U.S. in 1959 and lived there for 12 years before returning to HK in 1971 to pursue his movie career. Also, Bruce traveled to Hawaii in the mid 60s to visit Wally Jay’s Kwoon there.
2) CHINA (including mainland, Hong Kong, Macau) –
Bruce lived in HK until the age of 18 before returning to his birthplace, SF to claim his U.S. citizenship. In Aug 1945, after the war ended, Lee Hoi Chuen took the whole family back to his hometown in Shunde, Guandong, in mainland China. During his childhood days, Bruce went to Macau with his family and friends several times. Another time he went to Macau was when he shot FOF’s outdoor location in late 1971.
3) JAPAN –
Bruce’s boarded the ship "President Wilson" to the U.S. which stopped by Tokyo pier for 3 days in early 1959. Bruce got on the land of Japan and was amazed by how advanced and beautiful the country was. In either ’63 or ’65, Bruce was on transit in Japan again.
4) CANADA –
Bruce travelled to Canada in the early 60s with his students several times. He bought some Chinese martial arts books in the Chinatown of Vancouver. Also, he did several Gung Fu demos there as well.
5) DOMINICAN REPUBLIC –
In early Feb 1970, Bruce and Jhoon Rhee traveled to Dominican Republic to visit Rhee’s new TKD branch there. He appeared on TV and gave demo there as well.
6) SWITZERLAND –
Bruce flew to Switzerland in late Feb 1970 to coach director Roman Polanski for a week or so. Bruce learnt how to ski there.
7) U.K. –
While returning from Switzerland, he stopped by London in early March 1970 to see his childhood friend, Wu Ngan. He stayed there for 3 days.
8) INDIA –
Bruce traveled to India with Stirling Sillphant and James Coburn in Feb 1971 to scout for outdoor locations for their planned film, “Silent Flute”. They stayed there for around 10 days.
9) THAILAND –
Bruce’s first Mandarin picture,“The Big Boss” was filmed almost in Thailand from mid Jul to end Aug or early Sep. 1971.
10) ITALY –
On May 4th 1972, Bruce flew to Rome, Italy to film outdoor scenes for WOTD. He and his crew stayed for about 2 weeks before returning to HK on May 18th
11) ISRAEL –
In May 1972, while flying to and away from Rome, the airplane made transits in Israel’s airport. Bruce was there twice for a total a day or so.
12) PHILIPINNES –
In early 70s (date unconfirmed), Unicorn Chan said he received a call from Bruce who made a distance call to HK. He told Unicorn he was in Manila’s airport. His plane was making a transit.
1) In late 1972, Bruce planned to travel to Singapore and Taiwan etc. to promote his films and attend some Wushu tournament (as guest of honor) but did not made it due to his busy filming schedule.
2) Bruce intended to film GAME in South Korea on Sep 1973 but he died in July that year. Some unconfirmed source said Bruce did travel S.Korea with Raymond Chow to check out the martial arts experts and locations there. Further proof needs to be found to back up this claim.
Re: Dragon’s footsteps on the world map - KFMan on Jan 8, 2017, 4:15 PM
No photos? Seeing is believing - Roy on Jan 9, 2017, 2:37 AM
other country - ²lazemby on Jan 20, 2017, 10:40 PM
- Re: other country - Hiro on Jan 21, 2017, 2:12 AM
- London and Moscow - DREAN on Jan 26, 2017, 2:21 PM
- Re: London and Moscow - Hiro on Jan 26, 2017, 3:35 PM
- Mexico - lazemby on Mar 8, 2017, 10:02 PM
- Bruce in Mexico with Ed Parker @ Lima Lama Championships on 13 Sep 1968 - LJF on Mar 9, 2017, 10:10 AM
- Re: Bruce in Mexico with Ed Parker @ Lima Lama Championships on 13 Sep 1968 - jkdragon on Mar 10, 2017, 9:54 AM
Message for LJF - Tony on Jan 28, 2017, 9:58 PM
Other countries Bruce traveled (updates) - LJF on Mar 9, 2017, 10:31 AM
- Bruce's last public performance in Bahamas (circa early 1970) - LJF on Apr 29, 2017, 7:43 AM
- Incredible : Korea in 1968 - lazemby on May 2, 2017, 6:21 PM
- Re: Incredible : Korea in 1968 - KFMan on May 2, 2017, 7:21 PM
- Re: Re: Incredible : Korea in 1968 - jkdragon on May 2, 2017, 7:32 PM
- Re: Re: Incredible : Korea in 1968 - Shaolinguy on May 2, 2017, 7:44 PM
- Re: Re: Incredible : Korea in 1968 - Ivan on May 3, 2017, 7:56 AM
- May be another lie ...or not - lazemby on May 3, 2017, 9:13 AM
- Words from the seller - lazemby on May 3, 2017, 5:10 PM
- Re: Words from the seller - Hiro on May 4, 2017, 4:06 AM
- For Lazemby (not South Korea) - JPB on May 6, 2017, 6:30 PM
- Re: For Lazemby (not South Korea) - Matt on May 7, 2017, 11:48 AM
- Merci jpb , i know that ... - lazemby on May 7, 2017, 5:59 PM
- Neither S.Korea or Dominican Republic, it's in Jhoon Rhee U.S. School - Samson on May 7, 2017, 6:10 PM
- Re: Neither S.Korea or Dominican Republic, it's in Jhoon Rhee U.S. School - jkdragon on May 7, 2017, 6:39 PM
- Re: Neither S.Korea or Dominican Republic, it's in Jhoon Rhee U.S. School - shaolinguy on May 8, 2017, 3:24 PM
- Any idea at which Jhoon Rhee's school was the photo taken? NT - JACKY on May 15, 2017, 3:16 AM