bruceleelivesbanner.jpg

Return to Index  

Re: The Big Boss’ Script

April 29 2017 at 8:56 AM
Horace  (Login Horace21)

Response to The Big Boss’ Script

First and foremost, props for the detailed response, as per usual. I was actually aware of that post on Cheng Chi-Yong before, but admittedly I haven't actually noticed the "Martial arts of the 2 Chengs and Hsiao Mi" passage until you pointed it out, so I thank you for that LJF.

From the looks of it, Cheng Chi-Yong was to the Thai-Chinese community what Al Capone was to Chicago. And when Golden Harvest got around to conceiving the Big Boss, they essentially went for the ying-yang route and divided Cheng Chi-Yong into two different characters: Cheng Chao-An (Good side) and Hsiao Mi (Bad side).

It would still be cool to learn more about the character of Cheng Chao-An. Considering that Raymond Chow had plans for re-using that character for future movies, they must've fleshed out his background with supplemental material, which could've went into more detail about his family and pre-Thailand life.

I reckon reading on the Big Boss's IMDB trivia section about a book or pamphlet that apparently went into a bit more detail about Cheng Chao-An's life before his arrival in Pak Chong. Apparently Cheng was trained in martial arts by his father, and the old man presumably got killed in a fight not long before the the beginning of the BB story. It was because of that unfortunate event that Cheng's mother made him promise not to fight anymore, as she wanted him to live long enough to continue the family line. I'm guessing this is one of the factors for why Cheng decided to return the brothel at the tail end of Big Boss, as he wanted to, ahem, leave a legacy behind with one of the Thai women before he got arrested or killed.

As for HK Film Archive Association, I would assume that it's a non-profit organization. Therefore contacting them about the Big Boss script and possibly having it acquired digitally shouldn't be too much of a hurdle, although I'm probably being a tad too optimistic about that scenario.

Respond to this message   
Responses

• How much Ng Ka Seung-filmed material remained in the final cut of Big Boss? NT - Horace on Apr 29, 2017, 11:18 AM
  •  
  • Why Lo Wei was credited as screenplay writer? - Samson on Apr 29, 2017, 11:22 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Asian CelebritiesCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
    nickclarkewdbanner.jpg