bruceleelivesbanner.jpg

Return to Index  

Re: Why Lo Wei was credited as screenplay writer?

April 29 2017 at 11:45 AM
Horace  (Login Horace21)

Response to Why Lo Wei was credited as screenplay writer?

I'm aware that Ni Kuan is credited with creating the Chen Zhen character for FOF, but this is the first time I heard about his plausible involvement with BB. I looked up Ni Kuan's filmography on IMDB, and there's only a mention of a writing credit "Big Boss of Shanghai," which is obviously unrelated to the '71 Big Boss.

As for why Bruce Lee did not have a writing credit for either BB or FOF, I'd wager it's also because he had very little actual power beyond creative input, which is also the same reason he ultimately broke off with Lo Wei after production for FOF wrapped up. I wouldn't be surprised if Lo Wei somehow coerced Lee into giving up his writing credit or just outright cheating the Little Dragon out of it. By all accounts, Lo Wei was a thug with strong ties to the Chinese Triads, and he used said connections to threaten Lee at least once. Wei would also do something similar to Jackie Chan when the latter broke up with the hopelessly incompetent director around '77 or '78.

While we're talking about storylines, I can only wonder how the plot for Big Boss would've flowed under Ng Ka Seung's helm. If the promotional screenshots that were taken from while he was still director are to be believed, the final fight between Bruce Lee and Han Ying-chieh was already in the making. Likewise, it would seem that Hsu Chien (James Tien) had already been rolled back from being the protagonist long before Lo Wei came along, or perhaps Hsu Chien was always meant to be a Deuteragonist/Decoy protagonist from the start.

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: Why Lo Wei was credited as screenplay writer? - Samson on Apr 29, 2017, 1:10 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Asian CelebritiesCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
    nickclarkewdbanner.jpg