bruceleelivesbanner.jpg

Return to Index  

To Nick - George Lazenby left Singapore around July 10 – 13, 1973

September 16 2017 at 9:01 AM
LJF  (Login LJF)

Response to Message for Nick

Nick, I just check up my archive on BL. There are 2 Singapore newspapers that talked about George Lazenby.

1) The Strait Times, Tues, July 10, 1973 –“Second 007 In Town – with his sights on a Kungfu Film...”

It says Lazenby was in Singapore to talk to Runme Shaw (Run Run’s older brother) about show business matters on July 9 and would leave for HK later to meet Run Run Shaw for further discussions.
I guess after his meetup with Runme Shaw in Singapore, Lazenby would be anxious to go to HK to meet Run Run Shaw for he was hungry to work in a movie (he needed money to feed his newly-wed wife of a year who was pregnant by then). So, he would probably left soon after seeing Runme Shaw. Once in HK, he probably headed directly to meet and discuss with Run Run Shaw. No matter what the outcome was, it was sure that Lazenby then went to see Raymond Chow in GH and to look for opportunities to work with the HK biggest star - Bruce. That’s explains why Lazenby was in HK already but only saw Bruce slightly later, like you’ve said, likely July 14.

The Strait Times, Tues, July 10, 1973:
http://s26.postimg.org/f19qldb09/g-l-s.jpg

2) New Nation, Tues, Jul 17, 1973 – “James Bond No.2 is won over IN PERSON”

Shafari Bin Rawi, a Malay staff of the laundry department in Hyatt’s Hotel where Lazenby stayed, picked up Lazenby traveller’s checkbook and returned to Lazenby who was all praises of him for his honesty. Take note the article says “last week” which means likely happened a week ago, i.e. around 9th or 10th . Since this newspaper was dated July 17, then, it is safe to say Lazenby wasn’t in Singapore between 14th – 17th (Sat-Tues).

New Nation, Tues, Jul 17, 1973:
http://s26.postimg.org/6lk63v855/g-l-sx1.jpg

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Thanks LJF - Nick Clarke on Sep 16, 2017, 11:01 AM
  •  
  • Re: To Nick - George Lazenby left Singapore around July 10 – 13, 1973 - JKD54 on Sep 16, 2017, 11:41 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Asian CelebritiesCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
    nickclarkewdbanner.jpg