Big Boss year settingSeptember 29 2017 at 9:26 AM
|Horace (Login Horace21)|
Response to Year
The movie takes place roughly around the same year it was shot (1971), when Thailand was receiving yet another migration wave of Chinese workers due to the catastrophe that was the "Cultural Revolution" of the mid 60's.
However, it was suggested by other users in this forum that BB was originally supposed to take place sometime in the early 20th century, when Chinese immigration to Siam was at it's highest peak. This is supported by the overly simplistic clothing that Cheng Chao-An, his companions and the local populace of Pak Chong dresses up, along with the rather decrepit shacks and lack of proper buildings shown throughout BB.
The labor conditions are horrid if not downright nonexistent, and there are still plenty of socioethnic conflicts and animosity between the Chinese and the Thai natives, perhaps deliberately stoked by Hsiao "Big Boss" Mi. Such dynamic is interesting, considering they are all kept in abject misery as much as possible.
It's almost as if the producers wanted to give a "Wild West" vibe when they decided to have the movie set in Pak Chong, which would certainly make sense considering it's rampant lawlessness and crippling poverty.
Chiao Mei herself is somewhat of a walking anachronism, if not an outright time capsule. Besides her traditional old style hair, she willingly constrains herself to the roles of housekeeper and damsel-in-distress, despite not being engaged in any formal relationship. (cont on next post)
Chiao Mei mini-analysis - Horace on Sep 29, 2017, 9:42 AM
Sequels - Chris Richards on Sep 30, 2017, 10:05 AM
- Re: Sequels - Horace on Sep 30, 2017, 7:05 PM
- Re: Sequels - Chris Richards on Oct 1, 2017, 11:45 PM
- Re: Sequels - Horace on Oct 2, 2017, 12:02 AM
- 1910 - Chris Richards on Oct 2, 2017, 10:47 AM
- Re: 1910 - Horace on Oct 2, 2017, 11:06 AM
- I dont buy it - Coliseum1972 on Oct 5, 2017, 1:26 AM
- Big Boss Budget Limitations - Chris Richards on Oct 5, 2017, 2:15 AM
- Suspension of Disbelief - Chris Richards on Oct 5, 2017, 2:35 AM
- A few points to consider - Horace on Oct 5, 2017, 3:11 AM
- Reading too much into it - Chris on Oct 5, 2017, 7:23 AM
- Re: Reading too much into it - Chris Richards on Oct 5, 2017, 7:45 AM
- To each their own - Horace on Oct 5, 2017, 6:23 PM
- Re: To each their own - Chris Richards on Oct 5, 2017, 8:57 PM
- Re: To each their own - Horace on Oct 6, 2017, 12:57 AM