bruceleelivesbanner.jpg

Return to Index  

What We Know

November 3 2017 at 6:28 AM
Herolung  (Login hero-lung)

Response to What We Know

Part II.

On this great site, Bruce Lee Lives! there are tons of interviews of eyewitnesses from Lee's teen age years in Hong Kong, to his years in America and finally back to Hong Kong. While in Hong Kong he probably had street fights that weren't very serious, but one certainly was, and that was when he broke the guy's arms and femur. But although they had agreed the winner would throw the other off the roof, Lee declined.

By his mid-twenties Lee was the most visible martial artist in USA, 'fastest gun in the West' (or East) and one can bet that a lot of guys wanted to show him a thing or two. On two occasions Lee met with two sons of champ Gene Tunney; One son asked, "Do you think you could have beaten my dad?" "To tell the truth, I could beat anyone in the world. Now, if I stood still, of course no chance. But the question is, could he touch me?" He said a similar thing to the other son. Comments like these could have reached the upper strata of pro boxing, etc.

Some other quals of Lee:

* He was always training, six - eight hours a day, and then he would be reading, studying, analyzing, watching old boxing films. He didn't have a down-time. Lee didn't have a coach to inspire him. Ali did have trainers and did not train constantly. To Lee it was his way of life. Lee's focus was on the real thing, killing if necessary. Humans have a built-in aversion to killing or hurting others, even in war. That's why the military began to teach people how to overcome this natural tendency. Almost ironically, Lee was continuing the old traditions of masters such as Musashi, who often added to his principles, "Think deeply on this." Example,
"When facing one or even twelve opponents, you must focus on cutting them down! Think deeply on this."

* Lee could kick 700 lb. bag and 'fold it.' Drive a fist full-force into a wall bag full of metal pellets. Thrust his fingers into a coke can. Break dangling boards (velocity x mass = force). Catch a grain of rice with chop sticks. When dancing, full real splits and then raise himself up with just his legs. Paralyze an opponent by grabbing his trapezoid. In early 20s do one-arm push-ups with 190 lb. friend sitting on his back. Pick up two guys "like Popeye" with one arm each. Even if those guys were 150 lbs. that's 300 lbs. Game of Death hapkido man weighed 180 lb. and was amazed in the 'back break sequence' when take after take "Bruce would lift me up like I weighed nothing, over and over without tiring." Beat Bolo Yeung at arm-wrestling, (Bolo could dead lift 700 lbs.). Just in crude pushing and pulling, Lee could have lifted Ali off his feet, or grabbed an arm.

* Pro fighters, including heavyweight champs can be beaten in real fights. Example, one champ said a guy challenged him in the street: "I feinted left. He went that way. I feinted right, he went that way, and then I kicked him in the nuts. End of story." A heavyweight champ said, "Don't want nothing to do with those guys poking eyes!" Another heavyweight champ with his entourage tried to 'intrude' on a guy, and the guy faced him off; the champ shrugged and walked away, "It's not worth it." Ali, watching Roberto Duran in training, "I'm glad he's not a heavyweight." Duran called out, "In the street, I keel you!"

* SEAL Team Six founder Capt. Richard Marcinko has high regard for jeet kune do. He heard from fellow SEALs about a JKD-offshoot teacher: "This guy can hurt you just be looking at you. After I tried everything, and I was hurting all over, I signed up for private lessons and my skill soared."

Expert witnesses can determine whether someone is real deal or not. One example about a guy I know who met a former US special forces guy/former bodyguard to a triad boss's son (met through a mutual friend, US special forces who worked with South Viet special forces), both martial artist ... the older guy had also been a 'dirty boxer' in his youth. After the younger former solder met my friend, he said to him two days later, "Whoa. I said to myself, who is this guy? The only guy I ever met like that was Emperado. My friend did not even say he knew fighting, but this guy > knew <. Call it sixth sense, or heightened awareness, but those on the top level know when they're in the presence of 'talent.' Such 'master eyes' such as Sugar Ray Leonard: "Look in the dictionary, the word icon. That's Bruce Lee. .... He was so fast, so powerful, with charisma..." He derived his jab from watching Lee on film. Manny Pacquiao: "Bruce Lee ... my hero."

Sufficient expert witnesses (both in Lee's time and present) attest the historical certainty that Lee was in a different league. On a tangent view, you can put today's MMA champ in pro boxing, and it would be a different skill level. Lee, on the other hand, would be a world champ according to expert witnesses.

In an alternate universe where either Lee or Ali became a crazed killer and attacked the other (not wearing boxing gloves) I > would < put my last dime on Lee. Even in a sport exhibition, 90% odds on Lee. I don't see Ali even giving a friend a real knife and playing with him, and not get cut, or putting his hand on a butcher block, or using the razor-electric trainer, or facing off the mob. Lee had life long experience in real encounters, and when he would knock out a guy, he wouldn't cripple him for life. Even when he kicked four attackers to the ground within seconds (according to his future sister in law), he didn't press the point.

Around the 1930s there was a Jewish strongman, Joseph Greenstein, "The Mighty Atom," who was 5'4" and a sickly kid. He was trained by a circus strongman and went on to beat up bad guys. He beat up six longshoremen, throwing some through windows. In New York he passed a Nazi HQ with sign "No dogs or Jews allowed." He returned with a ladder and baseball bat, and took down the sign. He was surrounded by 20 Nazis, and the Mighty Atom broke bones and faced trial for assault and battery (or the equivalent in those days). Fourteen of the Nazis appeared in court, battered. The judge assumed the Atom had accomplices, and asked, "Where are the others?" The lawyer, not understanding the judge, said, "The rest of the defendants are in the hospital, your honor."

* Lee taught Jhoon Rhee a punch, who then taught it to Ali. No doubt he shared some Lee stories with Ali. In later bouts, Ali said he used the punch. It's also likely that Tyson, etc. have met with some of Lee's old friends.

I would like to confirm whether this story is true: did one of Ali's sparring partners spar with Lee, and say, "Couldn't touch him."

Conclusion, Bruce Lee was a 'clutch player.' At the right moment, he had the right move.

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: What We Know - Anonymous on Nov 3, 2017, 12:52 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Asian CelebritiesCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
    nickclarkewdbanner.jpg