Greece & Turkey Defence Forum Europe, Middle East & Africa
Defence Forum
Asia & Pacific Defence Forum
Help, Suggestions & Complaints

Forum Index  

Privacy watchdog calls for mandatory data breach reporting

April 14 2012 at 1:26 PM

Coalde  (Login cwc.mgmt)

Personally I find it ridiculous that companies do not have to report this today.
Privacy breahces reaching "epidemic" proportion in B.C., says commissioner

Jason Proctor, CBC News, Apr 11, 2012 5:37 PM PT

Private businesses should be forced to report privacy security breaches, says B.C. Information and Privacy Commissioner Elizabeth Denham.

In an interview with CBC News, Denman said the province needs to amend its Personal Information Protection Act. Her office has been calling for the change since 2008, but she fears B.C. will be left behind other jurisdictions if the government waits much longer.

"I would like to get a commitment from government but I know that they are looking at it," she said.

"I think it should be in law. I think the impact of that will be that individuals will know when there's been a significant breach affecting them, and secondly there will be more investment in the security of personal information if there's a mandatory requirement in law."

Denham says the breaching of private information is reaching "epidemic" proportion in B.C.

Her office investigated 500 cases of privacy breaches last year in both the private and public sector. While public bodies are required by legislation to report data breaches to the government's Chief Information Officer, no similar rules apply to private organizations.
...the remainder of this article and other related stories can be found at CyberWar Central.

[Cyberwar Central]

"Come out from man foul spirit.
What is thy name?"
And he said unto him,
"Our name is legion, for we are many."
Gospel of Mark, 5 - 8
[linked image]
Patriotism is your conviction
that your country is
superior to all others because
you were born in it.
George Bernard Shaw